BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new to the community! Was it straight forward to swap the M54B22 to the M54B25 engine and reflashing of the standard MS43 ECU?

·
the people’s mod
2004 330Ci 115k miles
14,441 Posts
Was it straight forward to swap the M54B22 to the M54B25 engine and reflashing of the standard MS43 ECU?
The swap is pretty simple. Use realoem.com to look up parts on both engines and see which are different.
After the swap is complete and engine runs fine, I can remotely program the 2.5 DME software for you. See my thread for the details.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
4,169 Posts
I see. The thing is that I need to drive with the car in order to change the software. Could this be harmful for the engine?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
You can start the car and run at idle just fine. However the injectors will not deliver enough fuel on the old program. There is a possibility of engine damage....?

Get the program downloaded to a laptop & hook up with BaliDawg and change the program.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great! Thanks! Since i got a M54B25 from a 2001 E39 525i to swap on my 2001 E46 320ci M54B22 which i can purchase stand alone or with the complete engine wiring/ecu/ews + key (i assume that i dont need all above and only engine since the Ecu ews etc can be recoded)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do i need the engine wiring of the m54b25 or can i use the one from the M54B22?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Do i need the engine wiring of the m54b25 or can i use the one from the M54B22?
If the engine came out of the same platform (both E46) the wiring will be identical, with maybe some minor differences such as the wiring for ignition coils, meaning you "might" have to adjust 1 or 2 plugs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! You still have your 320ci M54B30! I read the previous threads on your vehicle! You still have the 320ci gearbox and clutch?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yeah my swapped E46 is still in use. I have the 320ci gearbox (Getrag S5D 250G) in use behind my B30. The clutch on the 330i is slightly bigger so I bought a new one and threw out my old one.
I still have a ZF S5D 320Z from another 330i sitting here, ready to go in, but I'm waiting as I might have my eyes on a 6 speed swap in the near future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you have to swap the wiring, ecu, ews + key at the time or managed with original of each?

·
the people’s mod
2004 330Ci 115k miles
14,441 Posts
Did you have to swap the wiring, ecu, ews + key at the time or managed with original of each?
You don’t have to swap engine harness, DME, EWS, keys, or any of that.
Check both donor and receiver cars on realoem.com for any parts you think may be different.
B25 engine will start and run on the B22 DME software. We can update it to B25 software when the swap is done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers! So same principle should apply to a B22 to B30 swap except for MAF and airbox upgrade requirement👌

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Cheers! So same principle should apply to a B22 to B30 swap except for MAF and airbox upgrade requirement👌
B30 also has different injectors, throttle body, DISA valve, ... Most 6 cilinders share the same parts with the exception of the 330i and M3.

·
the people’s mod
2004 330Ci 115k miles
14,441 Posts
Yes, if you get a complete engine. B30 intake parts are larger as you see.
The valve cover and coils changed in 2003, so just use the ones from the old engine if they differ.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yes, if you get a complete engine. B30 intake parts are larger as you see.
The valve cover and coils changed in 2003, so just use the ones from the old engine if they differ.
You cannot interchange the coils (or maybe you can if you switch over the valve cover). The electrical plugs are different from the old to the new coil harness, but that's nothing more than soddering 1 plug. I mean the plug that you plug into the DME/relay box.

·
the people’s mod
2004 330Ci 115k miles
14,441 Posts
You cannot interchange the coils (or maybe you can if you switch over the valve cover). The electrical plugs are different from the old to the new coil harness, but that's nothing more than soddering 1 plug. I mean the plug that you plug into the DME/relay box.
My advice to OP was to use the valve cover and coils from his 320 and swap them over to the donor engine if different.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My advice to OP was to use the valve cover and coils from his 320 and swap them over to the donor engine if different.
whoops. I somehow missed the part where you also said the valve cover. Apologies!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts