BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I’m new here and I’m from Poland. I’ve bought my first bmw (E46 touring m54b22) recently and this is the place where the venture began.
Yesterday, it turned out my alternator has died- red diode on my dash board reminded me to take care of it immediately. So I did it, regeneration of bearing, rotor and new voltage regulator. At the same time I took off old fan belts and placed new ones (continental) but since then it is easily audible that something went wrong (don’t know yet what). Each time I drive there is a high tone voice coming from belts. I’m sure that everything were assembled correctly, battery charging works well. Is it possible that the belts need some time to somehow adjust to being assembled ? When the old belts were placed there was no such an issue. Have you got any idea what could have gone wrong ?
I would appreciate your advice :)
Gabriel

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,521 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for quick replies. I will try to localize the noise and hope this come from the bearing not from the belt itself as they are new. Belt routings are good, I checked it twice.
Tomorrow I’m going to check everything what you guys mentioned and I will let you know if the diagnosis was correct :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, I managed to check everything related to belts and I found out that my tensioner is worn. I replaced it but unfortunately the strange noise remain. I did a test with stethoscope but the rest pulley seems to me okay. Any other ideas ? I can try to record the noise, maybe that would allow you to evaluate

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Did you replace the alternator bearing?
This is the only new component / installation, introduced that can make the noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, this was included in regeneration of alternator so I assumed they did it well.

·
Registered
26,145 Posts
I once replaced my alternator and only one bolt was really tightened...the other wasn't in the hole, but tight, somehow, anyway. As a result, the alt pulley was a degree or two off...it held, somehow, for a month until my mechanic found it.

Also, your other tensioner pulley and idler pulley should probably be replaced. If one pulley failed, the others have too. You can find just the pulley itself if you have a mechanical tensioner. Also, make sure you put your new belt back on in the same direction it came off in...they have a memory. I do it with the markings so I can read them right side up.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Don't jump all over places looking for the noise.... He just replaced these new parts and noise appeared that wasn't there before: new belt, alternator rebuilt with new bearings.

So, belt cannot make the noise if routed correctly, and so the new noise must be created by the alternator with new bearings installed and what ever they worked in there. Did you say its rotor was replaced? It could be bad work and things touching rubbing inside the alternator, or bad bearing installation, that causing the noise. Remove the belt and hand spin the alternator to hear any noise or roughness in spin motion.

·
Registered
2004 330i Individual 6-Speed
281 Posts
didn’t check it. Does it contain a bearing as well ?
If you're refering to the water pump suggestion, then Yes, Spin it!

But, not a 100% sure it contains a bearing, although I think that it does contain a bearing.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hard to spin the water pump freely when the impellers are in water. That will dampen both the speed and the noise. Any way to use a stethescope? They're a few bucks at auto part stores.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, they replaced the rotor as well. I got the guarantee card so maybe I can try to somehow make a complaint. Before I do so, I will try to check alternator’s pulley

1 - 15 of 15 Posts