E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've found using RealOEM is a good start as you can get the BMW part number and then I google this. I've found many a Viton O ring this way. Being here in Oz you may well struggle with local supply but if you can find a supplier that deals specifically with O rings then they should be able to help. I also bought a generic Viton O ring kit from Radio Spares (RS) and this has given some success but lots of the BMW O rings have very specific thicknesses and ID/OD. If you google Loctite and go to the manufacturers website then you can find the thread lock that also acts as a sealant. Permatex sell a nice thread sealer but it doesn't 'lock' the thread and if the bung isn't a tapered thread then the thread lock should be used for peace of mind.
For the Vanos crush washers they're aluminium but I don't see why copper couldn't be used. Again though a bit of searching should bring up what you're after.

I've also searched as far as the UK and changed the Google search page to primarily look in the UK instead of AU or USA but using multiple search regions can give results in Germany as well.

·
Registered
190 Posts
my advice: all o-rings and washers should be replaced. Local part store that sells multi-brand o-rings --> even if they fit, they still might leak. I've had that issue and replaced them with the correct specific ones.
Unless the local parts store specifically stock Viton O rings then they are likely to be Butyl or if you're lucky nitrile. Butyl is a no no for engines and nitrile will last for a while but Viton is formulated specifically to resist oils, chemicals and heat cycles.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yup, O rings are a couple of cents to produce so the mark up by many sellers and BMW in particular is pretty darned disgusting. Sure there's more time and effort involved in sourcing things yourself but it's possible to go against the lazy, consumerist trend in society these days ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts