E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, searched through the forums and have yet to find a dedicated E-85 tuning thread for the e46 m and non m cars especially for the N.A versions.

This should help with people that have either the M54B30, B25, B28 and S54B32.

Most principles are universal when it comes to tuning on E-85 and runing it, so its not too difficult. Make sure your car has no check engines or problems before attempting this as you will be tuning in circles.

As for me i have a 2001 E46 325xi wagon with the m54b25 and ms43 ecu.
current engine mods are 4" intake tube to the fender with open screen and F connector delete from the boot and a open fuel pressure regulator (3.5 bar) as well as injectors from a m54b30 and stock exhaust for now. my injectors and filters have been cleaned and replaced, fuel lines are plastic with oem rubber connections, fuel filter is new and pump is new (oem).

E-85 Tips: e 85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gas. concentrations differ from regions and climate. Cold=less ethanol more gas, Warm=more ethanol less gas. it is around 100 to 110 octane which is perfect for high compression and FI engines where knock limits power. So for M3 and non m's run decent compression and even on 91 octane fuel will have some knock and retarding. E-85 removes this problem and allows the engine to run at its intended ignition map if not more advance.

E-85 requires more fuel than normal gasoline since it is less dense. It also has a slower flame speed from its octane and will usually need more ignition advance to reach MBT. E-85 is not as corrosive as a lot of people think usually people confuse Ethanol with methanol which is very corrosive. through my internet searching a couple experiments show that E-85 has less wear and less cylinder washing problem than gasoline and carbon built up is less however E-85 left out too long will soak up more moisture than gas. as long as you don t let e85 sit for a few months you should be fine. E-85 has a better cooling effect when injected as well as cleaning dirt or deposits out of your fuel system.(careful)

I Have been runing e-85 for 3 years now with no problems and my injector duty cycle is below 90 percent during WOT. Easiest way to describe the feeling is like driving on 93 but at only $1.78 a gallon instead of $4. Editing ignition maps gives a little more power out of the engine as well.

I used BimmerEditor for tuning as it was on sale and the UI is friendly and makes flashing easy and data logging simple. others use romraider and tuner pro (which ever you want or you feel comfortable with).

You can get by with using the stock setup to run ethanol but it has to be N.A anything more will require new injectors or higher fuel pressure. I will post fuel maps once i can get pics form my laptop to my desktop.

Basics: expect to increase all basic fuel maps by at least 15% this includes 2 warm injection and 2 cold injection maps. as from there you will have to go off fuel trims or wideband to dial in the lambda of 1. (ms43 will already try to target lambda of 1 so just fine tune from trim logger or wideband) for normal closed loop operation.

Idle:
fuel on cold start will need at least 15% increase. Warm needs a little less than the cold by 5%. for MAF failure or other fault detected maps i would leave this stock.

Cranking: (Fun Fun Fun) This is were you will be spending most of your time, expect at least 50% more fuel here especially below 0C for 10 to 90c will require less and less as temp increases.(DO NOT go past 50% as more fuel will just wash the cylinders down and waste fuel). I would recommend increasing ignition timing by small increments ADV until car has no problem starting in cold conditions then slowly reduce the fuel until it has trouble cranking again then add little more.(less fuel on start is better but for me required around 40% more fuel on "after run" and cranking to get car to start first crank).

Once you have the car idling and driving good on E-85 we can move on to ignition changes.

Ignition on RON98: for a basic street car nothing crazy the RON 98 only needs to be adjusted as the others such as RON91 is a secondary ignition map when knock occurs. This is used with fuels like 87(RON91) whereas 93 or 91 with use the RON 98 map. Since we are trying to keep things safe in all conditions we only need to touch the RON98 and leave the rest alone encase knock occurs the ecu can retard timing from the other maps. (MS43 Wiki)

Ignition: from 200 mg/stk to 6400 rpm needs no change if that 1 degree advance. from 250 on add about 3 degrees advance and thats it. any more you likely loose power or run into other problems. as for the idle maps increase advance for your needs to have the car idle nice and start nice in cold conditions and warm. changing ignition start to be more advanced is recommended. removing cat warming will help start because the timing is not retarded during cold start for emissions.

Cold start Help: on top of increasing the cold start and cranking fuel you will have to increase ignition advance on the cranking and the idle as well as after run ignition maps. On first startup the engine goes into open loop and and the SAP comes on getting the CATs to warm up quicker it also retards the ignition by a lot as well as vanos changes. this all dumps the mixture into to exhaust to burn for CAT heating(MS43 Wiki). you dont want this for E-85. preferably remove this cold start feature and advance the ignition to help aid the slow flame speed of the corn until the engine warms up. you will have to interpolate between adding fuel/removing fuel and adding timing advance to get it right raising idle rpm will help too.

VANOS: remove the overlap at idle and cold idle to keep the mixture in the cylinder to get a complete burn will help in cold starts. My car has 120 intake by -105 exhaust for the lowest amount of overlap !your car may differ!!

Thats pretty much it im sure i missed a few things but the bulk of running on the corn whiskey is here. This is all on a stock fuel system with 0 issues. Your millage may vary on setup I assume no liability if you damage you car while attempting this so look up you vehicle and application and double check your work! Its recommended to upgrade injectors pump filter and lines to run E85 safely but its not the end of the world if you cant do it all at once. This is not a discussion for if e85 is bad ect, or just buy an M3 arguments.

If you need help with other supporting mods like injectors and scaling and other ecu needs ect check out the MS43 wiki and the Biggest MS43 Tuning Thread for other tuning.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Going from you post, You are running M54B25 with B30 injectors?

So an M54B30 would need aftermarket injectors?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you could however you will be running around the 90 percent duty cyle range. If you want to bring that duty down u can use bigger injectors or raise your fuel pressure up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, very good post here for e85 tuning. I have a '01 325i e46 sedan, I run e85 since 2 years here in France. Before today I ran e85 with a simple trick : I raised the fuel pressure by changing the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel filter. The pump was upgraded with a walbro GST450. It was working great for my daily drives, but on long trip on highway I had some issues with engine running rich.
So to run better with e85 I decided to revert the fuel pressure regulator to 3.5 bar. I installed a used MS43 to play with in my car. My tuning was based on the firmware Siemens_MS43_MS430069_E46_M54B25_EU4_LHD.bin available on the MS43 wiki. For the mods I played through 3 tests run for finally having theses parameters wich works quite good :
24% increase on these tables :
ip_ti_tco_1_pl_ivvt_1__n__maf
ip_ti_tco_1_pl_ivvt_2__n__maf
ip_ti_tco_2_pl_ivvt_1__n__maf
ip_ti_tco_2_pl_ivvt_2__n__maf

15% increase on these tables :
ip_ti_tco_1_is_ivvt__n__maf
ip_ti_tco_2_is_ivvt__n__maf

Increase of pre cold start injection with these values :
ip_tipr_cst__tco

°C​
ms​
-30​
322,32​
-20,3​
247,824​
-9,8​
170,3925​
0​
112,9755​
9,8​
79,9515​
30​
36​
60​
20,277​
90​
14,347​

ip_ti_cst__n__tco
50% increase for 80 and 320 tr/mn, 30% increase for 920 tr/mn

ip_ti_cat_var__n__maf
10% increase on all values

The tests were run on summer condition so there will be maybe some adjustments for starting values on cold temps. I didn't adjust ignition values since the map I downloaded was already tuned. I noticed an improvement on the map of 3° to 5° in load for mid range revs to high revs over my original map. The performance increase can be feel. I don't know if I can improve these settings, but without a dyno I don't think I will.

I hope these parameters will help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have an MS43 ecu for your car you dont need to use the fpr to increase fuel. Download the ms4x flasher along with rom raider to increase injector spray. Ms4x wiki. I been using b30 injectors on my b25 and had no issues once i tuned it. Just make sure your car is running perfect before switch to avoid tuning confusion. They also show injectors that will fit the m54x cars too as we as tuning them to work.

·
Registered
E46 330i Security
2 Posts
Hey Guys, nice thread although not many are interested in it. Trying to find useful information on Ethanol conversion specifically for the M54B30.
Here in Brazil we don't have E85 at the pump, but we have E100! On the other hand, pump gas is already E27. I was thinking about making the conversion to full ETHANOL or maybe flex fuel.
My car is a BMW 330i 2004 with TS2 Supercharger. Unfortunately it is still automatic. But that we handle later, either with a manual swap or a 8hp45/70 swap using a standalone TCU.
So the fact is the kit came with bigger injectors ( think 31lbs) and I'm finishing to adjust fuel for the map that came with the kit.
My idea was to replace the injector with the green 42 lbs to cater for increased fuel and make necessary adjustments to ignition and fuel.
Would like to learn from you about timing and cranking, considering the 15% more ethanol when comparing to E85.
I live in Rio and low temperatures here are around 10C ( 50F ) .... Not cold at all...
Would be thankful if you could share information about you knowledge and experience with ethanol.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey Guys, nice thread although not many are interested in it. Trying to find useful information on Ethanol conversion specifically for the M54B30.
Here in Brazil we don't have E85 at the pump, but we have E100! On the other hand, pump gas is already E27. I was thinking about making the conversion to full ETHANOL or maybe flex fuel.
My car is a BMW 330i 2004 with TS2 Supercharger. Unfortunately it is still automatic. But that we handle later, either with a manual swap or a 8hp45/70 swap using a standalone TCU.
So the fact is the kit came with bigger injectors ( think 31lbs) and I'm finishing to adjust fuel for the map that came with the kit.
My idea was to replace the injector with the green 42 lbs to cater for increased fuel and make necessary adjustments to ignition and fuel.
Would like to learn from you about timing and cranking, considering the 15% more ethanol when comparing to E85.
I live in Rio and low temperatures here are around 10C ( 50F ) .... Not cold at all...
Would be thankful if you could share information about you knowledge and experience with ethanol.
42lbs injectors are not big enough to flow e85 with the ts2

·
Registered
E46 330i Security
2 Posts
42lbs injectors are not big enough to flow e85 with the ts2
Wouldn't it be enough for now? Remember it's an auto and boost is limited to 7PSI. But I agree with you, when I make the auto to manual swap, I'll be needing bigger injectors. Which ones do you suggest? Idea is to run up to 450hp.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wouldn't it be enough for now? Remember it's an auto and boost is limited to 7PSI. But I agree with you, when I make the auto to manual swap, I'll be needing bigger injectors. Which ones do you suggest? Idea is to run up to 450hp.
The 30lbs red injectors are close to their limit with the stock TS2 (depending on which pully size you currently run)
Going to the 42lbs greens will give you just enough to run e85 on stock boost. But it would be marginal at best.
On pump fuel the greens should support up to 400hp at around 90% duty cycle.

I remember reading someone running the greens with increased fuel pressure as well for e85.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts