BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Bmw 330i that has a blown head gasket and I have a 2.5 from a 2001 wrecked Bmw that I want to put in from my understanding the 2.5 will run but I need to recode the DME

·
Registered
978 Posts
Haven't done it - Have swapped 3.0 to 3.0 but it should work. Intake and MAF are different. I would do the swap and use the 3.0 intake, harness, throttle body, MAF and see how it runs. then I would reflash the DME.

Consider rebuilding your 3.0.. those engines are a dime a dozen now, but won't be in a few years.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Yes, a 2.5 will swap in perfectly fine. You'll just need to flash the DME to the correct software. Since you have a 2004 and the donor car is 2001, there are some things you'll need to swap over. The valve cover is different, the coil packs are different, the intake air temperature sensor is moved to the maf sensor, and of course the maf sensor is different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, a 2.5 will swap in perfectly fine. You'll just need to flash the DME to the correct software. Since you have a 2004 and the donor car is 2001, there are some things you'll need to swap over. The valve cover is different, the coil packs are different, the intake air temperature sensor is moved to the maf sensor, and of course the maf sensor is different.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

1 - 4 of 4 Posts