E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dry fitting and hoping to start this old vert up soon. What solution did you peeps who did this mod take with the intake?

Did anyone keep the stock airbox?

What bits did you buy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 330i 5 Speed
350 Posts
I can not help you because I did not do this mod. I know you can gain a little bit of power and airflow, but is it really worth it? The money and everything?

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can not help you because I did not do this mod. I know you can gain a little bit of power and airflow, but is it really worth it? The money and everything?
For me. Yes. It eliminates a bunch of issues associated with the stock nightmare intake on the m54.
Easier to put on and take off.
No DISA valve to fail.
Less issues with vacuum leaks.
More power at top end.
Negligible power loss at low end, nil with a tune.

I spent 50 for the intake. 150 for the adapter plate. Probably another 50 in hoses. I'm not doing forced induction so I don't need those 500 dollar kits and 399 dollar tunes.

There are also cheaper adapter plates out there and you can make your own with a block of aluminum or plastic.

More than likely I'll find an intake boot that will connect that gap or I'll elimate the stock box and throw a cone filter in with a heat shield around it.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,020 Posts
1) I hate cone filters and would be looking at other airboxes (consider other marques as well) to make something work? Sometimes one's gotta do what one has to do...
2) Are you going to run the CCV setup that was designed for that manifold? Conversely a catch can?

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1) I hate cone filters and would be looking at other airboxes (consider other marques as well) to make something work? Sometimes one's gotta do what one has to do...
2) Are you going to run the CCV setup that was designed for that manifold? Conversely a catch can?
I'm going to do a catch can vented to atmosphere and see how that performs. There is an aussie who showed that setup on YT. Said the closed system sucked oil at high revs with it connected into the intake. Too much vacuum pull.

Yeah, I'll figure something out with the air box. I don't like cone filters on non boosted motors unless their enclosed to prevent heat soak.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,020 Posts
to prevent heat soak

YUP, AKA: Fan Wash...
AMM's really work very well over their earlier counterparts. Albeit the one thing they suck at (intentional pun) is dealing with hot air. Really skews the air/fuel ratio and NOT in a good way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts