BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a 2001 325xi that I want to do a engine swap in what I want to know is if I can throw a e46 M3 motor in there I have a friend that has a wrecked m3 that's going to give me a deal on the motor:thumbup:. Any idea's on this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've done search's and cant really find anything and couldn't you use the oil pan off my 2.5

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I've done search's and cant really find anything and couldn't you use the oil pan off my 2.5
I don't think so. The oil pan on an M54 of any variety seems to be a different shape then the pan from an S54.

But like I said, the oil pan is only one issue to cope with. Others off the top of my head: DSC, motor mounts, transmission, transmission to transfer case, custom drive shafts...the list of suspects goes on and on.

If you want something fast and AWD, the e46 xi is not a good platform to choose.

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
I don't think so. The oil pan on an M54 of any variety seems to be a different shape then the pan from an S54.

But like I said, the oil pan is only one issue to cope with. Others off the top of my head: DSC, motor mounts, transmission, transmission to transfer case, custom drive shafts...the list of suspects goes on and on.

If you want something fast and AWD, the e46 xi is not a good platform to choose.
dsc is no concern. transmission/tcase no issues. m54 pan can be "modified" to fit. Custom drive shafts won't be required. You can keep the abs/dsc. (it touches nothing in the drive train). It's only used/monitored through wheel speed sensors. fabbing some motor mounts is nothing, compared to the massive work load. What I'd be most worried about is blowing through front diffs like i did. Shavings, shavings, and more shavings. If you plan on building this car to say you did it and show it, do it. If you plan on driving this car into the ground and hoping it won't puke diff juice all over your oil pan/tranny and stinking up your car:) Explore other routes. AWD to RWD is simple. :thumbup: GL op don't let these guys that come in and say oh it's $$$ it's not worth it get an "m" fvck those haters. I heard the same story over and over again. 99% of all these people don't turn wrenches on their cars and if they do it's to rotate a tire and change the oil. They aren't swapping drive trains/sub frames/the rest on their garage floor. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dsc is no concern. transmission/tcase no issues. m54 pan can be "modified" to fit. Custom drive shafts won't be required. You can keep the abs/dsc. (it touches nothing in the drive train). It's only used/monitored through wheel speed sensors. fabbing some motor mounts is nothing, compared to the massive work load. What I'd be most worried about is blowing through front diffs like i did. Shavings, shavings, and more shavings. If you plan on building this car to say you did it and show it, do it. If you plan on driving this car into the ground and hoping it won't puke diff juice all over your oil pan/tranny and stinking up your car:) Explore other routes. AWD to RWD is simple. :thumbup: GL op don't let these guys that come in and say oh it's $$$ it's not worth it get an "m" fvck those haters. I heard the same story over and over again. 99% of all these people don't turn wrenches on their cars and if they do it's to rotate a tire and change the oil. They aren't swapping drive trains/sub frames/the rest on their garage floor. :thumbsup:

I really want to do this but I do want it to be drivable did you do a M3 swap to yours or did you swap some other motor into it?

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
I really want to do this but I do want it to be drivable did you do a M3 swap to yours or did you swap some other motor into it?
I removed my awd from my 330xi. It's 10hrs to remove the front diff on our cars. I replaced mine twice, axles twice, invested nearly 50hrs of labor into my front drive train before I flipped and tore it all out. I think a decent awd s54 330 set up would be nearly 20k. Give or take a few.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I removed my awd from my 330xi. It's 10hrs to remove the front diff on our cars. I replaced mine twice, axles twice, invested nearly 50hrs of labor into my front drive train before I flipped and tore it all out. I think a decent awd s54 330 set up would be nearly 20k. Give or take a few.
I think it would be cheaper, say he got the tranny and engine done at impressive when they have a deal thats only 6500. He can get whole subframe with everything needed for 1400 from Blocked Out. All of it working correctly now...Thats a wall of nothing at the moment lol

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
I think it would be cheaper, say he got the tranny and engine done at impressive when they have a deal thats only 6500. He can get whole subframe with everything needed for 1400 from Blocked Out. All of it working correctly now...Thats a wall of nothing at the moment lol
double, you can't use an m3 rear diff as there is no front diff that has a 3.6x. If you don't know wtf your talking about pls ****. So now you're out 1600 bucks.. :tsk:

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
The more you know!!!...I have been enlightened.
Amen, not trying to be a dick. Just trying to get the correct info into the thread. I realize the delivery of the information could be much better. However, when you have to go over the same sh!t all the time. It gets old :banghead: GL OP, it's your car!

·
Registered
140 Posts
It is possible to do this swap it takes some intense wiring, an a custom oil pan to do it, an your drive train will hold up to a stock s54 swap. It has been done at a place called ******** motors. They have done it to a x3, an told me it would be the same in a 325xi or 330xi. The differences usually are 6spd manual tranny or a 5spd manual tranny. look um up and give them a call. I talked to one of the tech's about the swap. He gave me a quick run down of required parts an things you will need to do the swap. Then main thing is the oil pan, because the pan has to be modified to work properly for the S54. Other than that the bell housing is the same, and your front differential bolts up to your oil pan that you will transfer over after it is fitted to the S54. They even quoted me $400 to make my pan work if i sent it to them. But In NO WAY am i trying to make it sound like a Honda b series swap, there's some serous wire modifying to do. Good Luck with the project if you decide to take it on, make sure to take lots of pics an make a thread if you go through with it.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts