E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
documenting/venting

Sooo I got an M3 convertble about a month ago :craig:

Day after I got it, some :censor: BACKS into my front bumper in an ATM drivethrough, causing minor damage. After a good string of well-deserved expletives, we exchange insurance info. His insurance company accepts guilt, and I take my baby to a bodyshop to get patched up.

Fast forward to yesterday:

2:56PM Voicemail: Hi [oowhisperoo] this is _____ calling to let you know your M3 convertible is ready to be picked up

YESSSSSSSSS

3:13PM Voicemail: Uhh [oowhisperoo], just calling to see if you have some sort of extra security on your car. We just finished washing it and were pulling it out front, and now it wont start.

F***.

So I drive the sh1tty american rental car (comparable rental my a$$) over with my other set of keys, my car definitely doesnt start with either key. Apparently the guy driving my car "wasnt too good with a manual transmission" and stalled. When he went to start it up again, it just wouldnt...

???

Engine doesn't click. All interior/dash lights come on. Xenons come on without flicker. No codes shown on scanner. kinda like what happens if you try to start without putting the clutch in.

Fine, im still under warranty.

4:30PM - Called BMW Roadside assist to tow to dealership. "Are you in a safe location?" ok. 45 mins.

5:15PM - automated checkup - has your service been performed? no

we're sorry. they should be out in less than an hour
*fun fact - temp on sh1tty rental car says its 105 degrees outside

6:15PM - see above

7:15PM - see above, + "we'll file a complaint with that company"

8:35PM - tow truck arrives and tows to (now closed) BMW Dealer

::::restless night::::::

10:40AM - key drop hasn't been processed yet. we'll call you back

Still waiting to hear from them... any guesses to what's wrong?

is there anything the dumbass could have done after stalling that would cause ignition to be disabled?

if its just the starter that died, i can't really blame him but it just seems weird that it started up just fine for me always, and them the entire time it was in their possession and mysteriously won't start back up after he stalled it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
You said they washed it. First question that comes to my mind is, were they washing the engine? :eeps:

Wait for the dealer call, maybe it's really weird coincidence.

btw. I was always wondering, why European cars can be started with the gear in neutral position without pressing the clutch and American models won't?

The same if the car is in gear, in European model you can press the clutch and start it up in American you have to put it in neutral position first.

·
Registered
19,652 Posts
I'll put my money on either the battery is almost dead or it's the key.

·
Registered
19,652 Posts
The same if the car is in gear, in European model you can press the clutch and start it up in American you have to put it in neutral position first.
What? That's not true, I can have my car in gear, press the clutch, and my car will start up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It's probably the key or very low battery, but those symptoms seem identical to the symptoms I had when my starter went. Everything worked at full power, but it wouldn't start. Replaced the starter and she's 100% ok now.

·
Registered
19,652 Posts
^ Yea, possible as well.

You should check all fuses related to the car starting (starter, fuel pump, etc)?

Do you hear the fuel prime when you turn the key before you try and start?

·
Registered
743 Posts
haha nah they washed the car not the engine. i think this is normal/nice when you've had bodywork done?
Sure it is nice, I was just wondering if they weren't too nice ;)

What? That's not true, I can have my car in gear, press the clutch, and my car will start up.
Well, that is based on my experience and it is true, at least on the cars I was test driving. The only explanation I could come up with is that here most of the cars are auto and this is some sort of protection for manual owners, the same as shifting arrows in some other cars with manual tranny. Anyways, I don't want to OT OP's topic further, I was just curious if anyone knew the answer ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a problem just like this, and the cause was just the clutch sensor (if that's what it's called). There's a little button thingy under the clutch pedal that got stuck, so the car thought the clutch pedal wasn't down when it was. Hence the car won't start.

Good luck!

·
Legendary like a schoolboy
6,465 Posts
I also had this problem on my m3. I left it for the weekend and tried to start it up wit a differnt key that hasnt been charged for along time.. The car did not start.

No click, everything working fine.. Subs, HIDs, all gravy..just a fuel pump noise under the car.. after rolling it around trying to clutch start it, I tried differnt key, and for some odd reason, it started ..like on the 8th try.. now it works great so I dont know what to say..Ive read also that its the starter..but I still think its the old key that was prob never used and charged..like the immobilizer chip..give it some time and charge and it will start.(if its not the ignition...they may still tell you and charge you though...) sorry to hear about your problems and hope its solved, good luck!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thx for the replies guys. no updates, still havent heard from the dealer.

at the scene, i tried both keys (they still worked to lock/unlock the doors), and removed my DIY clutch stop (great/only mod so far) just in case it wasnt letting the clutch go in enough... no dice

·
Registered
752 Posts
hmm if its clicking but not turning over its prob the starter you should have tried to hit it with a hammer while turning the key thats a clear indication that the starter is about to go. like in my bros van but when we hit the starter it never started it just died fast, quick and painless I guess haha

·
Registered
8,502 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Isn't there a switch or plug or something that connects to the clutch that allows it to start when depressed? It might have come out if there is one :dunno;
hopefully, that would be an easy fix, mebbe it got jolted when he stalled?? :tsk:

i'm surprised that the shop a) hired a guy that couldnt drive stick, and b) put him in charge of moving my car :loco:

hmm if its clicking but not turning over its prob the starter ...
no click, just lights :read:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Man, that sucks a lot. I don't understand why people who can't drive stick are allowed to drive cars like yours.
yeah man i even made a point of detailing the $hit out of it before i dropped it off - hoped to send the message "i take care of my car. please do the same"

apparently it didnt work :tsk:

·
Registered
8,502 Posts
hopefully, that would be an easy fix, mebbe it got jolted when he stalled?? :tsk:

i'm surprised that the shop a) hired a guy that couldnt drive stick, and b) put him in charge of moving my car :loco:

no click, just lights :read:
I'm surprised there's a guy that works on cars that CAN'T drive a stick.. I'd have raised hell been like "WHY IS SOMEONE WHO CAN'T DRIVE A MANUAL TOUCHING MY CAR. SHORTENING THE LIFE OF MY CLUTCH"

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
wow that sucks. i'm awaiting results from the dealer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dealer called right before closing time. It was the starter, after all. They'll be replacing it under warranty and I should be reunited with my M tomorrow afternoon.

Apparently BMWs don't give much indication that the starter is about to fail...

i still think its a bit questionable that it failed right when douchebag stalled my car but whatevs, problem solved :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts