BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys heard of the the M3 getting fitted with a V8. My freind was at the BMW dealer tonight and was talking with a Sales manager. He was asking him about the new 3 series and about the new M3. He said they are going to run the M3 early, fitted with the M5 V8 engine in the spring of 05 (that is when my lease is up). If this is true, I will go there tomarrow and put down a deposit. You guys hear anything.

·
Banned
424 Posts
i hope that's not the case, i mean it shouldn't be that soon for the new m3 yet, what's this? a four year life span for a m3? remember we're not talking about a camry or an accord here, i think more likely we'll be seeing the new m3 toward the end of 2006 as the 2007 model. i don't know, i will be so pissed if they make new m3 that soon though.

·
Alpha Male
6,648 Posts
Keep in mind that the E36 M3 overlapped into 2 years of the E46 prouction run. 1998 (Europe only) and 1999.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I doubt that BMW would fit the new generation M3 with the previous generation M5 engine. Besides that, I heard it was supposed to have a 400+hp V8 - the M5's V8 only puts out a "measely" 394hp. :thumbup:

·
Banned
424 Posts
Clem said:
Keep in mind that the E36 M3 overlapped into 2 years of the E46 prouction run. 1998 (Europe only) and 1999.
i sure hope they follow that rule with the next gen m3. they just did the facelift on the 04 3series coupes so that'll carry over for at least two year and that brings us to 2006 which i think is the year they introduce the next generation 3series and 4series coupes and a year or two after that we should be seeing the new m3 or m4.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,962 Posts
you are right the m3 is going to get a 8 banger

maybe by 2006 in the united states. but do your self a favor get the 2 year of the new model. the first year always have a few to alot of bugs in them let bmw get them out of the car then buy it in the 2 or even 3 year. that is the smart thing to do.
by the way they say that it will have anywhere from 360 to 400h/p. good luck with your choise just keep in mind what i said.
because i went thru it..........
bobm3
;) ;)

·
yuppie racing
1,899 Posts
the m3 most likely will get a V8 for the next generation, but I gaurentee you it wont be the currrent M5 engine. The V8 found in the recent M5 and Z8 will not pass certain, stricter emissions laws in the upcoming years and there was a report talking about the this in the car mags about 6 months back.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info so far. I really like the M3 now. If I am going to get one in 05, I would be pissed if a new one within a year.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What about balance, which is a big marketing point for BMW. The added weight that comes with a V8 must be balanced. Who wants to go around corners with a front heavy car? I think BMW will always put handling and drive dynamics ahead of number of cylinders.

·
Registered
397 Posts
the new V8 engine for the next generation M3s will be close to the recen M5 V8 engines. the new M3s will be 400hp! wahoo!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
That rumor has been around since the M3 GTRs. Those M3s had a 4.0 liters V8 and won almost everything in the American Lemans series. Those M3 were outlaw because to run on the GT class the race cars have to base in a production car including the engine so BMW could not find any more excuses and the cars were pulled out of racing.

BMW will definetely install a 4.0 Liters V8 on the M3 to keep winning on GT racing all around the world. The V8 engine will be no more than 4.0 liters, again because GT racing only allows up to 4.0 liters. BMW wants to take that crown away from porsche once again. Unfortunately I don't think that will happen any time soon at least not until the middle of 2007. The current M3 engine will have to make its way into the new Z4. BMW will probably make a Z4 coupe like the M coupe. You will then see a chasis redesign for the 3 series and finally the M3 with a V8 4.0.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
10,883 Posts
rashishi said:
What about balance, which is a big marketing point for BMW. The added weight that comes with a V8 must be balanced. Who wants to go around corners with a front heavy car? I think BMW will always put handling and drive dynamics ahead of number of cylinders.
Because the S54 has a cast iron block it is heavy. The V8s will be aluminum blocks for sure so the balance should be maintained. I think someone mentioned that the M5 5.0 not sure what the engine code is) is about the same weight as the S54.

Tim

·
Registered
263 Posts
I heard that the new M3, the next iteration, is under consideration for the installation of a V8 from the factory.

This is (allegedly) in response to the IS430, the Lexus, which is receiving a 4.3L V8 in coming years (2005, I believe).

I remember reading this in Car and Driver, AutoWeek or ROad and Track in one of those spy photos with captions, but I have not seen or anything that led me to believe that this was a done deal.

As for listening to dealer's bs, let me just say that in 22 years of buying cars, I could count on one hand (with four fingers left) the number of dealers who actually knew anything about the cars they sold. When I bought my M3, they had to read the manual to learn how to start the car and move it forward from the back lot to deliver (no one knew how to drive an SMG car...or start it, for that matter).

However, if they DO install it, one has to wonder if it'll be able to be retrofitted to the existing M's. If not, is it worth trading ours in?

My wife is looking at the 6 series...I want her to get the M6, but it'll be $80K and I can think of several other cars I'd rather have (TechArt 996 non turbo) or even an SL500...and having just finished modifying my M3, I don't see me selling it anytime soon....

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
remember that the next generation M3 will be a 4 door sedan, the next M coupe will be badged M4... all sedans going to odd numbers and coupes to even... trying to standardize the system I guess.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
ya.. the m5 engine will no longer pass emissions in a few years.. there's no way that the new M3 will fit the old M5 engine.

It's no longer a rumor that they're fitting the GTR engine in the new M3.. just gotta wait now.. possibly 06 or 07.. since the 05 is the first year of the new E90 body style, they usually let the ///M release 1 year after the body change.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts