BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard the ACS exhaust helps but not totally. Does anyone have the Supersprint on their M3? How does it sound?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Had a supersprint on my e36 M3, now a supersprint on my e46 M3. I would not get anything else. It completely rids the raspy sound and it is definitely the most quiet of all aftermarket pipes, if this is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes it will eliminate the raspiness sound by changing other brand of exhaust, but actually some of the raspiness sound are coming from the engine whenever you rev it

·
Registered
341 Posts
mcmchoi said:
Had a supersprint on my e36 M3, now a supersprint on my e46 M3. I would not get anything else. It completely rids the raspy sound and it is definitely the most quiet of all aftermarket pipes, if this is what you are looking for.
Sounds cool. . .can you post some pics?

-jim

·
Banned
1,187 Posts
Okay, let me be the first to say NO EXHAUST gets rid of the raspiness totally...they only mask it and that's it. I've owned at least 3 exhausts for my M3: ACS, SuperSprint, and Hamann

NONE of them gets rid of it....only when the car warms up does it hide it a bit but get on WOT from a start and it's still there. The sound originates directly from the cats in the headers. A friend just bought the headers for the E46 M3. He will let me know what his finding are afterwards since we both have the same setup with the SuperSprint bypass pipe and exhaust.

So for now, hold on to that thought.....

btw, Supersprint is one of the most quiet so it DOES NOT hid the sound that well. Best one on the market right now is either the Eisenmann Race or the BB Triflow unit.

PM me if you have any more questions....

late,
rick

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks so much for the very helpful info! I can't wait to hear what the results are of your friend's header installation!
s4play said:
Okay, let me be the first to say NO EXHAUST gets rid of the raspiness totally...they only mask it and that's it. I've owned at least 3 exhausts for my M3: ACS, SuperSprint, and Hamann

NONE of them gets rid of it....only when the car warms up does it hide it a bit but get on WOT from a start and it's still there. The sound originates directly from the cats in the headers. A friend just bought the headers for the E46 M3. He will let me know what his finding are afterwards since we both have the same setup with the SuperSprint bypass pipe and exhaust.

So for now, hold on to that thought.....

btw, Supersprint is one of the most quiet so it DOES NOT hid the sound that well. Best one on the market right now is either the Eisenmann Race or the BB Triflow unit.

PM me if you have any more questions....

late,
rick

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
hey Rick id like to hear your opinion on running no cats...i think it would eliminate rasp, make the car sound meaner, shoot fire from the exhaust and be totally illegal... LOL!

Id still like to try it:)

:eeps:UUC exhaust for the E46 M3:eeps:

·
Registered
92 Posts
well im not rick, but....

i asked this question to two authorities on the subject and both say its a bad idea. For one, you would completely void your warranty. Secondly, the oxygen sensor would trip the check engine light constantly, and apparently they havent found a way to fix that problem yet. thats what ive heard on the subject.

4,231 Posts
s4play said:

Technically, all sounds coming out of the exhaust originate with the engine, so the comment several posts above is indeed accurate.

It is the job of the exhaust system to modify these sounds coming from the engine's exhaust ports.

None of the currently available exhaust systems are tuned to eliminate the rasp so common in S54-equipped cars (S54 M Coupes/Roadsters also make the sound).

The unique tuning required to eliminate the rasp, as far as I have seen, exists in only one place: UUC HQ in New Jersey.

As I have posted before (and as at least one E46Fanatics member has seen in person), you can expect something very special from UUC in the very near future. Rasp elimination is just the start of it.

- Rob Levinson
UUC Motorwerks • http://www.uucmotorwerks.com

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: well im not rick, but....

jim said:
actually, this act has only limited success. what really matters is what is stated on your car's warranty booklet in the 2 sections that read:

What is covered?

What is "NOT" covered?

If the (What is "NOT" covered?) area specifically lists parts that should "not" be modified in anyway (i.e. catalytic converters, etc.), then that is good enough for any dealer to void your warranty.

even if it's not explicitly stated, the only way to force a dealer to fix something under warranty that they don't want to because of an aftermarket modification is to:

1. file a formal complaint to the FTC which can take months to handle and/or even get a response (may be very lengthy to get a response...dealers are known to filibuster on these)

OR

2. you can sue them and would have to hire an attorney (not cheap)

OR

3. you can go to small claims court for amounts less than X amount of dollars, depending on what state/county you're in ( takes up a lot of personal time)

which ever option you choose, it will be a lengthy and potentially costly option.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks said:

Technically, all sounds coming out of the exhaust originate with the engine, so the comment several posts above is indeed accurate.

It is the job of the exhaust system to modify these sounds coming from the engine's exhaust ports.

None of the currently available exhaust systems are tuned to eliminate the rasp so common in S54-equipped cars (S54 M Coupes/Roadsters also make the sound).

The unique tuning required to eliminate the rasp, as far as I have seen, exists in only one place: UUC HQ in New Jersey.

As I have posted before (and as at least one E46Fanatics member has seen in person), you can expect something very special from UUC in the very near future. Rasp elimination is just the start of it.

- Rob Levinson
UUC Motorwerks • http://www.uucmotorwerks.com
I CAN'T WAIT! what's the tentative price range for this secret product?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Re: Re: Re: well im not rick, but....

maynardc said:

which ever option you choose, it will be a lengthy and potentially costly option.
The fact still remains that the issue will not even arise if something doesn't fail on your car. . .The mere act of adding aftermarket equipment to your car (or removing cats, etc. . .) does not void your warranty, failure of your car as a result of these additions/deletions, does.

-jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts