BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Law Enforcer
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know if I have been misinformed, but I was told that w/o the alarm, there is no way to arm the clown nose to blink (and corner lights to flash) when the doors are locked/unlocked. My service advisor asked a few weekends ago when I took my M3 in for the 1200 mile service. They said it's only possible on other 3-series, but not on the M3. Have any of you had this done on your M's w/o the alarm?

Attachments

·
Registered
700 Posts
M3Inline6 said:
I want to know if I have been misinformed, but I was told that w/o the alarm, there is no way to arm the clown nose to blink (and corner lights to flash) when the doors are locked/unlocked. My service advisor asked a few weekends ago when I took my M3 in for the 1200 mile service. They said it's only possible on other 3-series, but not on the M3. Have any of you had this done on your M's w/o the alarm?
I would bet he is wrong... my tech told me that it wasnt possible on my car, then he went out and did it........

Try another dealer.....

John V

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Its possible but why would you want to do it? Also your service advisor is not too informed because the M3 is like any other 3 series. IMO, if you spent the cash on the M, spend it on a VERY good factory alarm. There are a bunch of cons of you doing the blinking nose things as well. The biggest is that evertime the doors are locked or unlocked, the computer records a fault into the vehicles memory. So... if there is anything actually wrong with your computer, the tech will USUALLY have to replace the computer because there is too much data in there to sort through. You can get the alarm for around $200 I believe and its an easy install.

AdamR

·
Banned
1,187 Posts
yeah have to agree with Digitalgm on this one....he's right! :)

The dealer is mis-informed in that you CAN do make the nose flash but every time you lock/unlock the car, it triggers fault codes which if you ever should need the dealer to read your computer, pretty much they need to put in a new one (at your expense I'm sure!)

Thus, don't pose with that flash. If you want it, do it right and get the alarm...for god's sake, you have an M3. Don't tell me you don't have $$$ to spend on a factory alarm.

rk

·
Registered
58 Posts
As already stated, yes it can be done, and yes it causes a fault code since it is trying to arm a computer brain which is not there! The fault is not a big deal. It simply is saything that the alarm computer brain is not working (because it doesn't exist!) and is alert the tech that it might need to be fixed.

s4play said:
triggers fault codes which if you ever should need the dealer to read your computer, pretty much they need to put in a new one (at your expense I'm sure!)

rk
I don't know where you got this information, but it won't wear out the computer, nor require a new one. Imagine telling your PC to look for a floppy disk that you didn't insert. It'll give you a fault, telling you that there isn't one there, but it's simply a warning, not a detrement.

·
Law Enforcer
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your points are very valid fellas, but the reason I didn't get the alarm is because I have Lojack, and the Early Warning system, so there is no need for the alarm. I just wanted the blinking lights because sometimes I'm a bit far away from my car, and have to walk all the way to my car just to verify the doors are locked.

Attachments

·
yuppie racing
1,899 Posts
the clown nose is that ugly, red light "clown nose looking thing" attached to the bottom of our rearview mirrors.

I got mine activated, without having the alarm, and I dont think Im a alarm poseur or anything. Sometimes when I leave my car and im walking away I like to check and see if I made sure to lock it, it's alot easier seeing the red blinking light flashing than seeing if the locks are up or down. I also like the flashing lights when I unlock or lock my car.

As for having to buy a whole new comp, thats crazy, my dealer had to check for faulty start information a few months after they activated the blinking clown nose. They had no problem in getting the information they needed.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Which dealer told you that it would cost a 100 is ripping you off. My dealer did it for free. Most will charge only about 50 or so.

AdamR

md330 said:
Don't forget that the dealer will charge you another $100 to activate the alarm once you installed it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
lee2375 said:
this may seem like a dumb question, but wtf is a clown nose? :huh: :huh:
yea thats what I was thinking this whole time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Crevier and Irvine BMW in Orange County both gave me the $100 quote to activate the alarm. To turn on the clown nose (if you don't have the alarm) would cost $50.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Thats freaking bull$hit because it is the same thing that they do to activate the clown nose as it is to activate the alarm :-\

AdamR

1 - 16 of 16 Posts