E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright gentlemen, i am currently writing a research paper on the cultural significance of the M3. I need to have research of my own done for the essay and who better to answer these questions than you guys.
1. gender
2. age
3. why are you attracted physically/emotionally to the M3?
4. is the price of the car both brand new and used worth the quality of the car?
5. is the first thing you look for when looking for a car the performance, reliability, or something other?
6. is the M3 one of the all time car icons?
7. how do you feel about future M cars going to smaller turbo engines?
8. do you think that BMW will ever stop making the M3 due to this shift in the automotive industry towards small high MPG vehicles?
9. what is your favorite body style M3?
10. do you feel happier when driving your M?
11. is your car a DD or a weekend toy?
12. how much longer do you plan on keeping your M.

thanks guys. youll get dedz in my essay no doubt

·
Registered
30 Posts
Think you'll get my responses from M3Forum.

But anyways here you go...

1. gender: Male
2. age: 24
3. why are you attracted physically/emotionally to the M3? When I was in high school this was the car to have. I had a neighbor who bought one new in '01 and I had never seen anything like it. At that point I was hooked.
4. is the price of the car both brand new and used worth the quality of the car? Yes, it's a quality car. Well made and a lot of R&D went into making it. Does it have flaws and issues? Of course. But, its a performance orientated German car. So that is to be expected.
5. is the first thing you look for when looking for a car the performance, reliability, or something other? I look for soul. Probably Performance would be one of the biggest factors.
6. is the M3 one of the all time car icons? I believe so.
7. how do you feel about future M cars going to smaller turbo engines? Don't like it. To me an M car is a higher revving N/A engine.
8. do you think that BMW will ever stop making the M3 due to this shift in the automotive industry towards small high MPG vehicles? No, not at all. I can see them maybe one day dropping some of the other M models though. Especially, some of the SUV's.
9. what is your favorite body style M3? E30
10. do you feel happier when driving your M? Depends. Sometimes I get worried that its going to explode on me. But, generally yes I do feel happy driving it. It can be a stress reliever.
11. is your car a DD or a weekend toy? Light DD. I drive it daily maybe 2-4 times a week depending. Otherwise I usually drive a truck daily for work.
12. how much longer do you plan on keeping your M. Maybe another year or 2.

·
Registered
390 Posts
1. gender : male
2. age: 45
3. why are you attracted physically/emotionally to the M3? : driveability. It doubles as both a daily driver and track day car without peer.
4. is the price of the car both brand new and used worth the quality of the car? Depreciation means the car is a better proposition bought 2nd hand. I waited several years to buy my car. Having tested new e90's and an e60 m5 it presented the best bang for buck, while maintaining its more than reasonable build quality over the years.
5. is the first thing you look for when looking for a car the performance, reliability, or something other? Split 70/30 respectively. Maintained well I expect it to give many years of reliable but speedy service.
6. is the M3 one of the all time car icons? I consider it to be. In fact most if not all motoring enthusiasts would agree I believe.
7. how do you feel about future M cars going to smaller turbo engines? Turbo charged engines can be fun too.
8. do you think that BMW will ever stop making the M3 due to this shift in the automotive industry towards small high MPG vehicles? See answer above. Turbos can offer performance and lower fuel consumption.
9. what is your favorite body style M3? E46 coupe.
10. do you feel happier when driving your M? It brings a smile to my face every time I drive it. Even in Sydney's terrible traffic and roads thatwod embarress most 3 rd world countries.
11. is your car a DD or a weekend toy? It's a dd. but mileage is kept low as I don't have much of a commute.
12. how much longer do you plan on keeping your M. No plans to ever sell at this point.

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
231 Posts
1. gender: Male
2. age: 17
3. why are you attracted physically/emotionally to the M3? Got into BMW and cars in general when I was 16, I watched a lot of Top Gear, played games etc and the M3 just struck me as awesome. It's beautiful.
4. is the price of the car both brand new and used worth the quality of the car? Yes.
5. is the first thing you look for when looking for a car the performance, reliability, or something other? I look for a great balance with nothing on top.
6. is the M3 one of the all time car icons? Yes, of course.
7. how do you feel about future M cars going to smaller turbo engines? It's not traditional but some things are inevitable and I can deal.
8. do you think that BMW will ever stop making the M3 due to this shift in the automotive industry towards small high MPG vehicles? No, clearly not. BMW is doing just about better than ever as far as selling cars goes.
9. what is your favorite body style M3? E30
10. do you feel happier when driving your M? Yes.
11. is your car a DD or a weekend toy? DD 7 days a week through any conditions.
12. how much longer do you plan on keeping your M. Forever.

·
Registered
216 Posts
male
muscular body lines,unique sound, and HPF!!
yes
performance and sound
yes
HATE IT!
no
e46
yes i never want to stop
7 days a week
not sure would like to keep it forever, but if I find a deal on a z4m then goodbye m3:shhh:

·
Registered
206 Posts
1. gender: male

2. age: 19

3. why are you attracted physically/emotionally to the M3?: It's a beautiful car. Clean lines with enough aggression to show what it is without going over the top. The muscular stance of the car coupled with its lines conveys a sense of refined aggression. Emotionally, it's a blast to drive. I feel part of the car when driving it vs. some car I feel distanced from my control of it.

4. is the price of the car both brand new and used worth the quality of the car? Used it's one of the, if not the best bargain in the market. Incredible performance even for today for sub30k and the quality of the car in general make it worth every penny. I wouldn't know new; wasn't even able to drive when it came out.

5. is the first thing you look for when looking for a car the performance, reliability, or something other? I look for a combination of performance, luxury, and reliability, split 45:35:20 in that order. If I wanted just one of those, I would be in some boosted Honda or a Lexus. The M3 is the perfect blend of the three.

6. is the M3 one of the all time car icons? Yes! Though the E30 will remain the quintessential M3, all M3s have a status as an icon of their era and benchmark other cars are measured against.

7. how do you feel about future M cars going to smaller turbo engines? If they can match the character and immediate throttle response of current M engines, I'm fine with it. Until then, they'll be "inferior" in my eyes to the NA engines. But I trust the M will be able to do it the right way; they have for 4 generations of M3s.

8. do you think that BMW will ever stop making the M3 due to this shift in the automotive industry towards small high MPG vehicles? There will always be an enthusiast demand, so no. If that trend were that bad why would companies like Ford and Chevy, which make their bread and butter $ off of small high MPG vehicles, be constantly one-upping each other with muscle cars, even today?

9. what is your favorite body style M3? E46

10. do you feel happier when driving your M? YES!!!

11. is your car a DD or a weekend toy? As a college student it's somewhat of a combination. I don't always need to drive every day, but when I do it's the M3.

At least for a few promotions, so another 4-5 years or so. When I make enough to consider a 1M or slightly used E92 or F10, I'll probably switch to that. But I'll likely hold onto the M forever. It will become a classic in a way the E36 will never be. The S54 is the last and highest performing NA I6 BMW made, so it will be valuable another decade down the road. Look where well taken care of E30 M3s are now.

OP, I better get some "dedz"/props/credit in your essay for the novel I just wrote...:eeps:

·
Registered
421 Posts
1. gender:Male

2. age:22

3. why are you attracted physically/emotionally to the M3?: The overall look at poise of the car. They have a real aggressive look but still carry luxury at the same time. There's so many ways to customize the car to be your own, its can really be a signature of each driver. It's the best bang for your buck in terms of luxury, power and ability to turn heads.

4. is the price of the car both brand new and used worth the quality of the car?: The price both new and used is worth every dollar, comparably speaking, other cars in it's class lack luster and generally lack in some categories whether it be luxury, performance etc in comparison of the M3.

5. is the first thing you look for when looking for a car the performance, reliability, or something other?:When I look at a car, I want something that is reliable, a solid built car, and worth the money. I need something that I can drive into the ground, not something that will die at 100k miles. I like to picture myself driving the car, if I cant picture myself enjoying the car, I know I wont like it. I have to drive this everyday, I want it to be something I'm comfortable and happy with.

6. is the M3 one of the all time car icons?: I think its getting there, it still has some time as its only been out of production for a few years. I think that in due time it will be a stand out car. Many people know my car when they see it, people say how nice they are. I had a many who had owned 7 BMW's in his life follow me home just to tell me how much he loved the car. That alone really says something about the car.

7. how do you feel about future M cars going to smaller turbo engines?:I think its something different, most cars today are trying the turbo thing, I think the fact the will run the tri-turbo setup is really different, I'm curious to see how it works out. But if it was up to me, I rather see them go back to the inline 6, its just the way BMW should go, its the way they do best.

8. do you think that BMW will ever stop making the M3 due to this shift in the automotive industry towards small high MPG vehicles?: They will always make these, their an icon in the BMW world. They make take time off like in 2007 to refine and redesign, but there will always be a demand for these cars.

9. what is your favorite body style M3?: I love the E46 body style, that's why I bought one, there's just something that catches me every time, but I have to say the E30 is just as nice, I always wanted one, and I think that may be the next car I purchase.

10. do you feel happier when driving your M?: Driving my M3 solves all my problems.

11. is your car a DD or a weekend toy?: I try to drive it whenever I get the chance, it sits all winter, and I have a second car, so it doesn't see to many miles, but I try to enjoy it as much as possible.

12. how much longer do you plan on keeping your M.:Til the damn thing dies, then i'll rebuild the motor and keep driving.:thumbup:

Paul

·
Registered
187 Posts
1. gender - Male
2. age - 38
3. why are you attracted physically/emotionally to the M3? - Performance, looks, good at everything, practical and always wanted to own an M.
4. is the price of the car both brand new and used worth the quality of the car? - Yes pretty close used. Brand new, no.
5. is the first thing you look for when looking for a car the performance, reliability, or something other? performance
6. is the M3 one of the all time car icons? - No. Most people wouldn't know an M3 from a 328. Of course most people don't even know what they drive themselves.
7. how do you feel about future M cars going to smaller turbo engines? - I don't care one way or another. I'm all for increasing efficiency. I do like the torque of a boosted car, but like the responsiveness of an NA car. Each has their pros
8. do you think that BMW will ever stop making the M3 due to this shift in the automotive industry towards small high MPG vehicles? - No I do not
9. what is your favorite body style M3? - E92 M3
10. do you feel happier when driving your M? - Yes
11. is your car a DD or a weekend toy? - DD
12. how much longer do you plan on keeping your M. - Next spring

·
Registered
103 Posts
1. gender - male
2. age- 16
3. why are you attracted physically/emotionally to the M3? sound, looks and because there is nothing better than ///M
4. is the price of the car both brand new and used worth the quality of the car? The car is definitely worth buying
5. is the first thing you look for when looking for a car the performance, reliability, or something other? performance
6. is the M3 one of the all time car icons? in my opinion yes
7. how do you feel about future M cars going to smaller turbo engines? I hate the thought of it
8. do you think that BMW will ever stop making the M3 due to this shift in the automotive industry towards small high MPG vehicles? No
9. what is your favorite body style M3? E46 M3
10. do you feel happier when driving your M? yes
11. is your car a DD or a weekend toy? DD
12. how much longer do you plan on keeping your M. I dont plan on selling it anytime soon

·
Registered
160 Posts
. gender - Male
2. age - 61
3. why are you attracted physically/emotionally to the M3? style, handling, more power than regular E46 models.
4. is the price of the car both brand new and used worth the quality of the car? yes
5. is the first thing you look for when looking for a car the performance, reliability, or something other? in this case, performance. Faster, more muscle-type cars are out there but M3 handles like a dream.
6. is the M3 one of the all time car icons? not sure. when they first came out in Germany (I was stationed there in the Army) they were. See them at motocross races. Now, there are many, many sold. Yet, I think the M's are cars that cause people to look at when they pass.
7. how do you feel about future M cars going to smaller turbo engines? Seems OK as long as powerful, efficient engine.
8. do you think that BMW will ever stop making the M3 due to this shift in the automotive industry towards small high MPG vehicles? No.
9. what is your favorite body style M3? I like the E46 best but next, E30.
10. do you feel happier when driving your M? yes
11. is your car a DD or a weekend toy? more of a weekender, sunny day auto.
12. how much longer do you plan on keeping your M. years. I kept my first BMW 8 years, next one 20. I get attached.

·
Registered
116 Posts
1. gender: male
2. age: 52
3. why are you attracted physically/emotionally to the M3?: The muscular lines and the rawness of the operation. It's mechanical music. It also has a great 'look'.
4. is the price of the car both brand new and used worth the quality of the car?: yes
5. is the first thing you look for when looking for a car the performance, reliability, or something other?: Reliability and performance are tops
6. is the M3 one of the all time car icons?: It is in a way. Compared to Bugatti's, Lambo's, Packards, Bentley's, Rolls, Duesenberg's, not so much...
7. how do you feel about future M cars going to smaller turbo engines?: The whine of a turbo mixed with thunder can be intoxicating. I think ///M will get it right.
8. do you think that BMW will ever stop making the M3 due to this shift in the automotive industry towards small high MPG vehicles?: No
9. what is your favorite body style M3?: E46
10. do you feel happier when driving your M?: Absolutely!
11. is your car a DD or a weekend toy?: DD
12. how much longer do you plan on keeping your M.: Until the kids are out of college ;-)

-gh

·
Registered
411 Posts
Research paper? What exactly is this for, school/Uni? I can't imagine getting away with his when I was studying :)

1. gender

Male

2. age

40. (going on 20)

Physically? I'm not, and attacted may be a bad choice of words, I liked the car for it's styling and new features..

But in the end it boils down to: I like European craftmanship on interiors, the way the car is set up for the driver, the way it goes though corners, engine performance. and it's a follow up to my e30 325is..

4. is the price of the car both brand new and used worth the quality of the car?

New? No, but I would say about ANY car, nothing that looses a quarter to half of it's value because I signed a piece of paper is priced correctly, Even then $200,000 for a new M3 (E92) is jaw droppingly stupid.

Second hand? I'm happy with the price you can get them for now, but over here that's 50-80k.. (which is painful)

5. is the first thing you look for when looking for a car the performance, reliability, or something other?

Do I like the exterior, do I like the interior, does it drive around corners like I'm glued to the road, does it have have enough power to be fun to drive, can I afford the cost, Is insurance cost reasonable, do I have the money left over after purchasing it to fix any concerns with performance?. pretty much in that order..

The brand is.. the E30 M3 is.. the later M3's I suspect not.

Could not care less, I don't like the interior on the newer cars and I don't see that changing, I'm happy with the car I own, and to be honest how the engine creates it's power is not so important to me so long as it does it well..

8. do you think that BMW will ever stop making the M3 due to this shift in the automotive industry towards small high MPG vehicles?

No, They'll just recreate the M3 in a publicly acceptable format..

Ouch.. errr E46.. I think

Yes, but this would apply to any car I chose to drive.

DD.

Until I write it off, get tired of it, cant afford it, (it breaks in a way that is not worth the repair cost), or find a different car I want.. As of today I have no desire to change cars, and I don't see that changing in the near future..

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Research paper? What exactly is this for, school/Uni? I can't imagine getting away with his when I was studying :)

1. gender

Male

2. age

40. (going on 20)

Physically? I'm not, and attacted may be a bad choice of words, I liked the car for it's styling and new features..

But in the end it boils down to: I like European craftmanship on interiors, the way the car is set up for the driver, the way it goes though corners, engine performance. and it's a follow up to my e30 325is..

New? No, but I would say about ANY car, nothing that looses a quarter to half of it's value because I signed a piece of paper is priced correctly, Even then $200,000 for a new M3 (E92) is jaw droppingly stupid.

Second hand? I'm happy with the price you can get them for now, but over here that's 50-80k.. (which is painful)

Do I like the exterior, do I like the interior, does it drive around corners like I'm glued to the road, does it have have enough power to be fun to drive, can I afford the cost, Is insurance cost reasonable, do I have the money left over after purchasing it to fix any concerns with performance?. pretty much in that order..

The brand is.. the E30 M3 is.. the later M3's I suspect not.

Could not care less, I don't like the interior on the newer cars and I don't see that changing, I'm happy with the car I own, and to be honest how the engine creates it's power is not so important to me so long as it does it well..

No, They'll just recreate the M3 in a publicly acceptable format..

Ouch.. errr E46.. I think

Yes, but this would apply to any car I chose to drive.

DD.

Until I write it off, get tired of it, cant afford it, (it breaks in a way that is not worth the repair cost), or find a different car I want.. As of today I have no desire to change cars, and I don't see that changing in the near future..

I know right it's awesome. I go to Alabama and my prof. said we could choose any topic so hey wtf right
I know righ

·
Registered
30 Posts
Craziest thing to me is all the young kids driving these cars. Must be nice to have generous parents. No way I could afford this car when I was in college.

OP good luck with the Paper. Might try posting up on M3forum.net, might get a little more of a mature audience.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Craziest thing to me is all the young kids driving these cars. Must be nice to have generous parents. No way I could afford this car when I was in college.

OP good luck with the Paper. Might try posting up on M3forum.net, might get a little more of a mature audience.
Or maybe we just have put in a lot of hard work, made something of ourselves, and want to help out the OP without making condescending posts that do not answer his survey. But hey, that's just my opinion. OP, how'd the paper do?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Or maybe we just have put in a lot of hard work, made something of ourselves, and want to help out the OP without making condescending posts that do not answer his survey. But hey, that's just my opinion. OP, how'd the paper do?
Please I was the first person to answer the OP's post.

I dont need a 19 year old telling me about hardwork. I worked a full time job and went to school 4 years. Got a degree and did it with zero student debt. That's hard work.

I just dont see how someone with no degree and in school can afford to buy an m3 and maintain it without outside help. Don't feed me the line of BS how you worked for it. I hear the same story from every tru****nd baby.

Am i a little jaded? Yes. Be thankful of what you have that is for sure.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Just a tip from someone that has collected millions of surveys... Use google docs or survey monkey for simple projects, it saves time and gives better data.

·
Registered
206 Posts

I dont need a 19 year old telling me about hardwork. I worked a full time job and went to school 4 years. Got a degree and did it with zero student debt. That's hard work.

I just dont see how someone with no degree and in school can afford to buy an m3 and maintain it without outside help. Don't feed me the line of BS how you worked for it. I hear the same story from every tru****nd baby.

Oh I am thankful for what I have. Everyday. And I do all the above on my own :D Nor will I have any student debt. :thumbsup: Also, that line is NOT BS. Just because you are jaded doesn't mean you have to come in here to poo-poo on everyone else. In the interest of not getting this locked or both of us put in timeout, PM if you want to continue this...discourse.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Dont talk so much smack, i worked 2 part time jobs on top of going to school just to be able to buy my car with my own money and to maintain it. But anyways lets not change the subject of why this thread was created.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts