E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on a road trip and my car keeps stalling. It hasn't stalled when it was actually moving. Only when I start it immediately stalls but it does turnover. Sometimes I can get it to idle for a while if I tap the accelerator. On my road trip I was consistently driving the car 120+ for probably over 8 hours. I was under the impression that speed would not kill this car. Could it be a clogged fuel filter? The problem seems intermittent. The car worked fine all day yesterday but then I drove her for a while today and then I'm having the same problem again. Anybody else had or having a similar problem. 01' BMW M3 Coupe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any check engine light? you can have your car scanned at autozone (no cost).
No check engine light. That is good info about autozone. If there isn't an engine light then it won't help to scan it right? I had the car towed to a goodyear Friday morning but it stopped doin it and they said that if there wasn't an engine light that scanning it wouldn't help but I'm not sure if I trust them. They seemed afraid of the car

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
believe codes can be stored without the cel coming on (chances are there are none if it never came on).

try cleaning your MAF

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335561
I'm gonna give this a try tomorrow. I guess I'll check the air filter too. I guess fuel pump and fuel filter are possibilities. What are other possibilities? Have others experienced the same problem with a dirty MAF? The way it acts seems like it would be some kind of problem with the air/ fuel mixture....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I cleaned the MAF sensor. It looked real clean to start with. Air filter is very clean. So I think I have those two eliminated. Now she won't turn over at all. Does that help to diagnose it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Last I checked at autozone they don't do code checks anymore here in SoCal. I would check the code anyways as I've experienced errors even without the light on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Last I checked at autozone they don't do code checks anymore here in SoCal. I would check the code anyways as I've experienced errors even without the light on.
Autozone in Colorado Springs doesn't either. Said they didn't do it on cars anymore ( especially not mine ) because they can't be held liable for anything that happens. However they did let me use their reader to do it myself the last time I went and I just wrote the codes down. :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts