E46 Fanatics Forum banner

M3 Starting Issue, Help Please!!

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Apple4life 
#1 ·
I recently purchased an 02 M3 and am having a starting issue. When I turn the key to start all the lights and everything come on however the car doesn't turn over, all you hear is a click!. Now on my 323ci this happens every once in a while and i found that opening the hood and giving it a little slam frees up whatever is holding the starting from turning.

So my question is, does this mean my starter is gone or possibly the starter relay? Any help would be greatly appreciated, because there's nothing worse then bump starting your M3 at the gas station.

#3 ·
There is a switch under the clutch pedal that must be fully depressed before the starter will engage. It is a common occurrence that the lever from the clutch pedal fails to completely push in this switch. Check this first,as it can often be the source of the symptoms that you describe.

#9 ·
Listen for the fuel pump to prime to rule that out . If you hear a click when turning the keys to the on position. Least its not the clutch switch as a bad clutch switch will make zero sounds when turning the key to the on position.

Most of the time it is the battery

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer

#12 ·
Car is now back to not starting !! I listened carefully as my brother turned the key and you can hear what sounds like the solenoid on the starter clicking. Any takers? Yesterday it was starting every time, could the fact that it was a really hot day have any effect. Because once night hit and the temp dropped the car was back to not starting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.