E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know there are a ton of posts on the forums about tires and which ones are best, but I've been having a lot of difficulty finding the most popular suggestions in sizes that fit the stock 19" staggered wheel size. I can usually find the right size for either front or back, but not both.

Was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to good tire options they have run on the staggered 19" rim sizes?

This would be for my DD, but I also track it 3-4 times a year, and I have an HPDE coming up on April 21 that I need to have new tires fitted for. So I'm looking for something that will perform well on track but not be entirely too aggressive for the street.

Any help much appreciated! :bow:

·
Registered
426 Posts
So I know there are a ton of posts on the forums about tires and which ones are best, but I've been having a lot of difficulty finding the most popular suggestions in sizes that fit the stock 19" staggered wheel size. I can usually find the right size for either front or back, but not both.

Was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to good tire options they have run on the staggered 19" rim sizes?

This would be for my DD, but I also track it 3-4 times a year, and I have an HPDE coming up on April 21 that I need to have new tires fitted for. So I'm looking for something that will perform well on track but not be entirely too aggressive for the street.

Any help much appreciated!
I run staggered 19 with 245/275 in hankook ventus. Got them on Amazon, but check tirerack.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Try to avoid 19" wheels on the track. Buy a used square 18" set-up and work off those. You should be able to buy them reasonably. Direzzas are good track tires with good grip, linear breakaway characteristics and wear surprisingly well.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, for some reason the notifications didn't work and I never saw either of these suggestions! Good times...

MrGizmo - Can you run those larger sizes on the standard staggered 19" rim sizes? I might be dumb, but I thought rim size largely dictated tire width...

Alan - Thanks for the tip. After a while, if I'm still running the track events regularly, I'll probably consider a cheap square set of wheels with more track-oriented tires on them to swap for the weekend, but for now I'm not looking to get that financially into my tire situation.

In any event, I ended up going with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s, and I'm actually really pleased with them. They performed really well in the rain on the first day of the track weekend (even the instructor was commenting on how good they were in the rain), and they took all the abuse I gave them on the second/dry day as well, without any of the chunking that my last set of cheap Chinese tires had after a weekend. So thumbs up to that choice, in my book!

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
My car has the stock 19s i currently run 285-30-R19 in the rear and 245-35-R19 up front.. i dont track it but a good street tire for daily would be the michelin pilot sport 4s. And a budget grip tire would be federal rs-rr or the firestone firehawk

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you do 4-5 track days a year, consider getting a set of track wheels, squared 18's. You'll have so much more balanced handling with a square setup, and can rotate them front to back.

If you want to keep running staggered, for a street/track tire I really like my Hankook RS4s. They are a bit sketchy when cold, but have decent wet performance as long as you don't nail the throttle, and will work well for track use.

But, really, just get a set of track wheels ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
apex arc 8 square in 18 or oem 18 squared are also good
I run Apex SM-10's in 18 staggered on my E46 M3 track car, and it's a wonderful setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.