E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to make a thread about this, I'm sure it's been asked before, but after searching for 20 mins and scrolling through the m parts on non ms sticky thread for what seems like an hour I gave up on searching.

I have oem m3 springs, I need new springs on my 325i (sedan), will they fit???

Especially the rears.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Springs are a mystery. You can call the dealer and give them the last 7 of your VIN. They are color-coded differently and have a different number of stripes as well. They may lookthe same but do not perform the same. OEM springs are determined by more than having sport suspension.

Here are things which can affect which springs you get:

AUTO vs. MAN
HK Stereo
Sun/moonroof
Full Spare
2WD or 4WD
Different packages (cold weather, etc.)

Another thing to keep in mind is that the spring and shock/strut combo needs to be in harmony. They have to match compression and rebound rates. Some springs will wear out your shocks prematurely if they arent correct.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to use my stock shocks, I'm not looking to lower, or upgrade the suspension at all, I just happen to have some extra m3 springs and would like to use them instead of buying new sedan springs.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Springs are a mystery. You can call the dealer and give them the last 7 of your VIN. They are color-coded differently and have a different number of stripes as well. They may lookthe same but do not perform the same. OEM springs are determined by more than having sport suspension.

Here are things which can affect which springs you get:

AUTO vs. MAN
HK Stereo
Sun/moonroof
Full Spare
2WD or 4WD
Different packages (cold weather, etc.)

Another thing to keep in mind is that the spring and shock/strut combo needs to be in harmony. They have to match compression and rebound rates. Some springs will wear out your shocks prematurely if they arent correct.
I don't want to call the dealer because they're gonna tell me that the m3 springs won't work regardless if they will or not, although they will be able to tell me which springs were originally on my car.

BTW my car is manual, with HK, sport, premium, and cold weather packages. It's an I not an XI so no awd. Full spare with sunroof.

Again, original rear springs cracked, can I use the extra set of m3 springs I have.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't want to call the dealer because they're gonna tell me that the m3 springs won't work regardless if they will or not, although they will be able to tell me which springs were originally on my car.

BTW my car is manual, with HK, sport, premium, and cold weather packages. It's an I not an XI so no awd. Full spare with sunroof.

Again, original rear springs cracked, can I use the extra set of m3 springs I have.
dude, just throw them in there, and see if they work, if not then buy the sedan springs.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Rear M3 springs will fit any other E46.

Front springs will also fit like butter, BUT, M3 oem suspension sits higher then non-m and M3 also weights alot more then your 325i thus its springs will make your car look like a 4x4

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Front springs will also fit like butter, BUT, M3 oem suspension sits higher then non-m and M3 also weights alot more then your 325i thus its springs will make your car look like a 4x4
Haha I was worried about this, especially because they're out of a convertible lol. Looks like I'm looking for some cheap oem sport springs.

·
Registered
414 Posts
i have sport spring out of my car 325ci, $200 sound good?

·
Registered
8 Posts
M-springs from E46 Coupe to E46 sedan...does it fit?

Hi Blocked Out,
Could You be so kind to tell me does the M-springs from E46 Coupe will fit to E46 2.0d 136KM M47 sedan? I looking for it couple hours but i dont find nothing:thumbdwn:please if it not a problem for You send me a message. Bye

·
Registered
799 Posts
Oh wow. I must of looked up the wrong person! I thought it was New Jersey. Still, I can take cash or gold in exchange for shipping. Within a few weeks of waiting for Polish mail (insert joke here) you will be all set.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
NO! it will not work...... i tried before! DONT DO IT...

its going to kill all your shocks.... the sedan is little heavier then the m3...

i went this route for my spring and regret it , even tough i used it for 2 weeks only.

dont do it men.. dont be cheap... put correct spring rate w correct shocks...

WRONG SPRING WILL WEAR OUT ALL YOUR BUSHINGS.

just my 2 cents experience.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
You little scared me that what You wrote about it...but i dont want to install M3 springs only a M-packet (if like M-Technik) from etc E46 Coupe 2.0d M47N 150KM pre or after lift. What do You think about it, in Your opinion will them fit to my 2.0d 136KM M47 sedan?

Nope! Wont fit, Spring are design to hold on certain amount of weight as to my understanding of last time i put wrong spring from OEM sport spring 330I sedan.

you try put E46 Coupe 2.0d M47N 150KM spring on a 2.0d 136KM M47 sedan? no way you will get good results. plus waist your time changing the springs//

USED SPRING wont work get you no where as they get used they drop the RATE.

yes, it moved the car. but when it came to BUMPs,TURNS and basically road wave. OMG! felt like loose roller coaster compared to the new eibach spring and sport shocks/ rear m3 shocks i put on..

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
NO! it will not work...... i tried before! DONT DO IT...

its going to kill all your shocks.... the sedan is little heavier then the m3...

i went this route for my spring and regret it , even tough i used it for 2 weeks only.

dont do it men.. dont be cheap... put correct spring rate w correct shocks...

WRONG SPRING WILL WEAR OUT ALL YOUR BUSHINGS.

just my 2 cents experience.
Nope! Wont fit, Spring are design to hold on certain amount of weight as to my understanding of last time i put wrong spring from OEM sport spring 330I sedan.

you try put E46 Coupe 2.0d M47N 150KM spring on a 2.0d 136KM M47 sedan? no way you will get good results. plus waist your time changing the springs//

USED SPRING wont work get you no where as they get used they drop the RATE.

yes, it moved the car. but when it came to BUMPs,TURNS and basically road wave. OMG! felt like loose roller coaster compared to the new eibach spring and sport shocks/ rear m3 shocks i put on..
I dont think you know what you're talking about. First of all the sedan is NOT heavier then M3. Only the Xi version is heavier by a mere 70lbs !!!! OMG what a big deal, I bet most Xi drivers are heavier then M3 drivers by 7-0 lbs , lol

Anyway, you must've done something really wrong for your car to be handling like you describe,plus your shocks were already old to begin with so how can you make any assumptions when your shocks were toast to begin with.

Used springs work just as good as new springs. Our springs do NOT sag nor do they lose anything overtime, they either work or they break. Again, new spring are JUST as good as old ones , no difference at all.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I dont think you know what you're talking about. First of all the sedan is NOT heavier then M3. Only the Xi version is heavier by a mere 70lbs !!!! OMG what a big deal, I bet most Xi drivers are heavier then M3 drivers by 7-0 lbs , lol

Anyway, you must've done something really wrong for your car to be handling like you describe,plus your shocks were already old to begin with so how can you make any assumptions when your shocks were toast to begin with.

Used springs work just as good as new springs. Our springs do NOT sag nor do they lose anything overtime, they either work or they break. Again, new spring are JUST as good as old ones , no difference at all.
:yikes: ops, i approached it too much. just by the body view and m3 not being 4 door car... it would guess it did weight less then sedan by big difference. ( did not do my homework ) lol

pretty heavy m3? or is it just the sedan magical design to weight as much like a coupe?

anyway...

Long story short, my spring broke on the rear lower part. try take short cut. purchase used said 330i sport spring and put on my stock shocks 325xi 03.

3/4/5 days later i realized the dramatical affect it took on my handling. Just went ahead and purchase New shock&spring as mentioned...

I dont think it would be the best approach to buy used springs. '$SAVE$' & get new ones. :hmm:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.