BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know what the manual says and all but anyone have a clearer understanding of what it does? Does it make the throttle more sensitive? I've used it a few times and it kicks ass. Feels like a turbo button. It's alittle too sensitive in first unless i'm flooring it.

Essentially, flooring in normal or sport make a difference?.. since i'm requesting FULL throttle.. sport mode can't go beyond FULL.. or does it do something different?:dunno:

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
///M3Matt said:
i believe it increases throttle response....and kills your MPG
So if I timed my 1/4 mile times with or without sport mode, I should get the same times? Assuming I'm always at full throttle?

·
Bimmerless
1,845 Posts
mattman said:
It's alittle too sensitive in first unless i'm flooring it.

Yeah, the car doesnt like to creep in 1st when Sport mode is on. Im glad you pointed that out, I thought it was just me.

·
T!TSLVR
1,258 Posts
I was told it opens up all your throttle bodies to 100%

I would believe you would get a better 1/4 mile time with SPORT button on... right?? :dunno:

·
needs a new sig...
4,621 Posts
I drove alevy's LSB M3 this weekend..and all i know about the sport button is it makes the car feel so much faster..hell i was in 3rd with my fot off the gas, he hit the sport button and the car sped up....i need me one of them sport buttons..even if the car isnt faster it sure seems that way!

·
T!TSLVR
1,258 Posts
I finally broke out my M3 manual today....

Page 85.

"The system - Sport mode - will cause the engine to respond more spontaneously to any motion of the accelerator pedal"

There is also a warning:

"When the system is activated the vehicle may gain speed without any additinal pressure on the accelerator pedal."

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sport Switch: The MS S54 ECM contains two different throttle progression program curves (Sport and Normal). The sport program is selected by pressing the Sport switch located in the center console switch panel.

The switch provides a ground signal as an input when pressed. The MS S54 activates the sport characteristics for the EDR throttle control. This provides an increase in throttle opening and response time over the non-sport position.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The normal and sport drive-by-wire curves intersect at full throttle so if you're flooring it there is no difference.

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SMG Users: When doing a normal launch (i.e. I floor it in S6 mode), I get a slight delay and then it starts revving up.. anyone else have this issue? With LC, it's minimized..

·
Registered
836 Posts
your not suppost to just floor it you slowly start push pedal down ...wut your doin engages burn out mode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts