BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 05 M3 ZCP for a few weeks now and I find it hard to get a smooth shift from 1st to 2nd.

I'm thinking this is just the nature of the car. Some people have told me to have the clutch delay value removed which appareently installed in my car, but I'm not sure.

Are there any veteran M3 (non-smg) drivers out there who experience the same difficulty shifting from 1 to 2 ?

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I started having the same issue when my clutch was about to go. I also removed the delay valve but it made it worse. I replaced the clutch, installed lightweight flywheel and ssk now the car shifts smoother but the ssk requires more force to shift.

Is this your first M?

·
Banned
339 Posts
All Ms have that shift feeling. You need to rev it to at least 3.5k in 1st gear to get it to shift smoother. 1st to 2nd has the highest gear ratio so you need some drive train speed (low revs won't make shift smoothly).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think my issue was not getting the rev's up.. This morning on my way to work, I took Z00's suggestion and was shifting around 4K and it was night and day difference. This is my first M, so it seems like I'm working the engine to hard with it winding up after 3K, but since yellow band is around 7K and the tach max out at 9K.. I'm probably not being hard enough! .. LOL.. What a car.. loving it!! thanks for the comments everyone :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
oh my god, you weren't even getting to 3k? It's a gutless pig under that.

Why are people so afraid to rev an engine, that's what they are designed to do.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm not sure what the OP is asking?? Is it:

1) That the transition from 1st to 2nd isn't smooth when you engage the clutch

OR

2) Are you just saying that moving the stick from 1 to 2 is rough

The answer depends on the question. If (1) then yes you need to match your revs a bit better...don't over or under rev as both will eat your cluth over time. If (2) then you need to know that the shift pattern isn't actually straight down from 1 to 2. 2nd gear is actually down and to the right when you want to go into 2nd...not sure why this is the case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem Fixed..

OK.. So I'm an M3 Manual newbie... Went out a lunch.. kept the revs up.. and I "Found" second gear thanks to BMWuberwagons note.. Shifting fine now.. Found the "Sweet Spot" I guess you could call it.. 2nd just clicked in like I though it should.. I was keeping a bit of presure to the left from 1st and found it clunky going into 2nd.. Now with the revs up and knowing 2nd is a bit offset from 1st.. I am all good.. Thanks everyone!

Now.. Time to go eat some Volkswagons for lunch.. LOL :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts