E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! First off, this is my first post on E46Fanatics. I purchased a beautiful 2002 M3 a few months ago. This is not my first BMW, and I just came from a 335i coupe with upgraded turbos :thumbsup: (it's for sale BTW - any takers?). Anyhow, I'm loving the M. However...

I'm 6'1 and about 150-160lbs. I've got the seat down as far as it will go and don't have the headroom I desire (full power seats w/lumbar). Let me start off by saying I've googled the hell out of this, and every time it comes up with the same results: 1) lean the chair back, 2) buy the manual seats/racing seats/sunroof delete, 3) ghetto rig it for lower seating. Because of my height/chair position, I end up slumping in the seat, and it's killing my lower back (I'm 20... I shouldn't have back pain for another 30 years!:rofl:).

1) I like sitting upright. Leaning the whole chair back like I'm at the dentist just doesn't cut it.

2) Possible options, except sunroof delete. Too complicated/expensive. I don't really wanna swap in the manual seats, mainly because I like the adjustable side bolsters. I'm skinny as hell and like to be held in place. Aftermarket seats are an option. I really like the look of Recaro Pole Positions, although they are a pretty penny. I am open to seating suggestions. Recaro is ideal but may be a bit out of the price range. Bride seems like it could be a good option, any thoughts on this? Or other brands? How comfortable are these types of seats for daily driving?

3) Ghetto rigging it (modifying the OEM seat). I have mixed feelings. My first and foremost concern is safety. I would never want to do anything that put me in danger in the event of a crash. I have seen several posts where people vaguely described their modifications, which included shaving the foam off the bottom (not a fan), and another, which involved adding extra teeth to the gear/modifying the rail so as to allow the seat to move lower. I was inspecting the underside of my seat yesterday, and I don't see how this is possible, but if anyone can explain it for me, be my guest! I'm not opposed to modifying the seat, as long as it's done in a manner that does not compromise safety or functionality.

If anyone has found a solution to this issue, preferably without changing too much hardware, share your infinite wisdom. It will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cameron

·
Registered
14 Posts
Go with aftermarket seats. And if you can..... try a shell type seat.

They aren't for everyone in a DD but I used them for three years. Getting in and out is a little harder than regular seats but once you're in the car they can be very comfortable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.