BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What car has the most HP per litre of a current production car? The M3 isn't even close :bawling:

·
I've got what plants crave.
1,478 Posts
for a normally aspirated motor, the I6 in the M3 is pretty damn good!!!!

The honda V-Tec engines are very impressive also....especially the S2000's 2.0L 4-cylinder with 240bhp....:thumbup:

·
Registered
468 Posts
The M3 is one of the top HP per litre cars. It has 104HP per litre. The Honda S2000 is 120 HP per litre. Besides this two car nothing else comes to mind. You must be thinking turbo charge engines but they are in a different league! Rotatory engine are also in a different league. In racing rotatory engine were muliply 2x their litre capacity so a 1.5 litre rotatory was competing with 3.0 litre cars.

·
Fanatics vs. E46 DTM 4evar
6,077 Posts
The s54 is in a league of its own, still to this day it still outnumbers new engines. And the S2000 is a torqueless motor....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about the Audi TT? 225 hp and 1.8 liters = 125 hp per liter .. isn't that the most?

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
I don't think it would really be a fair comparison anyway unless you take the HP/Torque curves into consideration.

·
I've got what plants crave.
1,478 Posts
marv said:
What about the Audi TT? 225 hp and 1.8 liters = 125 hp per liter .. isn't that the most?
That's b/c it's forced induction.

The M3 breathes on it's own. It doesn't require a blower to make the kinds of numbers it does.

·
l337
165 Posts
I read somewhere that only 4 NA cars have ever made over 100 Hp per litre. m3, and s2000 are the only two non exotic ones i think.

·
Oaf
951 Posts
sza187 said:
I read somewhere that only 4 NA cars have ever made over 100 Hp per litre. m3, and s2000 are the only two non exotic ones i think.
The Integra Type R is another one. The Civic Si has exactly 100 hp/liter.

But as UltimateOne points out, the M3 puts out REAL torque, unlike the Honda motors. Only the $120k+ Ferraris can accomplish the same feat.

Bottom line: the M3 motor is a N/A engineering marvel that few cars (and none under $120k) can come close to. And that's BEFORE the mods :D

·
Registered
668 Posts
yeah, when you're talking about power production, NA and FI need to be seperated.... a classic NA power house engine is in the Merc Gullwing, it set a benchmark for power per litre. I think a factory FI engine that is fantasic is the Audi RS4.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,182 Posts
don't forget if you change the intake and exhaust

i have a 03 m3 puting in the gruppe m in take, they say that adds 10 to 12 hp. and you get a better free flow exhaust they say another 5 to 10 i think. so you are pushing 340 to 350 hp without
any blowers or turbo's. i say thats pretty good from a 6 banger
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
all hail the rotary :) - but as someone pointed out, in racing they must compete as a 6cyl with twice the displacement

·
Masterdebator
1,669 Posts
don't forget about BMW's engine tht they made for the McLaren F1!! 627bhp and 479 ft/lbs, that's 103hp/liter out of a 6.1 liter V12!!!!!! That engine was so good that BMW or McLaren never had to tune it for GT races and LeMans. In fact, the only year BMW raced in the LeMans LMP league was in 1999 with their V12 LMR, which had the McLaren engine, and it swept the LMP league in LeMans. Why didn't they continue racing their V12 LMR? Was it the same reason BMW pulled their M3's from the GT league (damn Porsche)?

·
Masterdebator
1,669 Posts
oh yeah, civics get about 130hp out of a 1.3 liter engine, and the integra type R gets 190 to 200hp out of a 1.8. But what's so great about 100hp/liter when all you got is 200hp?

·
Masterdebator
1,669 Posts
3Wagon said:
for NA, I thought the S2k was the champ in therms of HP per liter.
that thing has no torque. I have more torque than it at 1500 rpms. I remember a car mag ran the s2000 and shifted at like 6500 (where most cars redine) and they got a time of high 16's. It's very hard to get the times car mags get (same thing with the WRX).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts