BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have an E46 M3, that JUST ran out of the original factory warranty, (which means no more free maintenance). The "OIL SERVICE" indicator says I have about 50 more files left until the next oil change. So I called up local BMW place, and they quoted me $215 for oil change and air filters. I figured that was a bit high, so I called another BMW place (performance BMW) and they quoted me $140 for the oil service. Both places said they did visual inspections and topped off the fluids. Am I missing something here, I know this is a high performance engine and requires special service but that $200+ seems crazy.

Should I

A) Go to the German "speed shop" in my town and get the synthetic mobile1 oil, $65-$70.
B) Go to Performance and get the $140 "special oil".

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
917 Posts
No more free maintenance. This begins the true test of how long a BMW's life will be. Why not start doing it your self? $9 Mann filter, $60 of Castrol 10w60, and 15 spare minutes. I change mine every 3k and enjoy knowing that the job got done right. I even use to change the oil between intervals of BMW's free services.

BMW likes to charge $100 per hour for labor for some reason. A good German/euro specialized indy shop will always be cheaper and usually do better work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No more free maintenance. This begins the true test of how long a BMW's life will be. Why not start doing it your self? $9 Mann filter, $60 of Castrol 10w60, and 15 spare minutes. I change mine every 3k and enjoy knowing that the job got done right. I even use to change the oil between intervals of BMW's free services.

BMW likes to charge $100 per hour for labor for some reason. A good German/euro specialized indy shop will always be cheaper and usually do better work.

Great idea.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

+1 on DIY, very easy to do. I don't believe Mobil1 has 10-60 weight. Please use only recommended oil for our S54 engine.

·
Banned
423 Posts
I guess i agree with you that 200+ is outrageous, but i don't believe in buying alternative oil!

Use the regular 10w60 oil and get the work done somewhere cheaper or do it yourself! Should be about 60-140!

Good luck dude!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts