E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that if I get my new M3 with the matte paint finish that I will have to pull over and immediately wash off any bugs or tree sap to prevent permanent dammage to the coat? Or, is this just a huge disclaimer that is way overblown?

Thanks,

·
Legendary like a schoolboy
6,319 Posts
Never polish or wax the frozen gray paint as it could lead to a glossy surface.
If washing your frozen gray M3 in a automatic car wash, choose a car wash that does not apply vehicle wax. Rinse the M3 with high pressure water to remove dirt before sending it through the automatic car wash to avoid scratches from sand, dust and other micro-particles.
Remove bugs, bird poo, tree sap, tar, fuel spills or oil immediately using a soft sponge.
Avoid strong rubbing while cleaning the frozen paint. BMW sells suitable products for maintaining the frozen paint at your local dealer.
Repairs to the paint (scratches, dents, etching) must be completed by a BMW trained body shop. Most auto body shop will not be capable of repairing the frozen gray paint.

only thirty were sold.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Yah, BMW announced a limited edition run of 30 frozen grey M3s. The 30 reservations sold in 12 minutes.

It looks incredible, but I couldn't imagine that level of upkeep every time it leaves the garage.

·
6,319 Posts
Top gear 16x05

Attachments

·
6,319 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Haha, loved that episode.

Is there no way to protect a matte finish? Doesn't seem like there could be no options available for a fix.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
At 1:30 of the video the presenter pretty much says the same about needing to wash off tree sap, dead insects and bird droppings immediately. No polishing or automatc car washes either.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,764 Posts
Don't forget about squirrels so don't park under trees. And as I recall from my SD trip, you have many species of birds, some of which are known 'nice car' predators...same species as in Hitchcock's 'The Birds.' So, keep it out of the open. Make sure you travel mostly by tunnel...

or perhaps you could make a nice package for it? :lmao:

What a ridiculous finish to have for a car. Looks beautiful in the photo and bet it's even nicer live! Is this radar absorbing paint? Maybe the fine pores make it faster, like the golf ball car on Myth Busters?

·
Registered
609 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts