E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a M3 and have found a used one with 120k miles. However, the dealer says that the following maint items have been done.

--- VANOS REBUILT w/BEISAN KIT
--- ROD BEARINGS REPLACED
--- VALVE ADJUSTMENT
--- MOTOR MOUNTS REPLACED
--- CLUTCH REPLACED
--- FLYWHEEL REPLACED
--- ALTERNATOR REPLACED
--- BATTERY REPLACED
—- OIL FILTER HOUSING GASKET
--- 4 CONTINENTAL EXTREME CONTACT TIRES

What other maint items should I be concerned about?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
I'm looking to purchase a M3 and have found a used one with 120k miles. However, the dealer says that the following maint items have been done.

--- VANOS REBUILT w/BEISAN KIT
--- ROD BEARINGS REPLACED
--- VALVE ADJUSTMENT
--- MOTOR MOUNTS REPLACED
--- CLUTCH REPLACED
--- FLYWHEEL REPLACED
--- ALTERNATOR REPLACED
--- BATTERY REPLACED
—- OIL FILTER HOUSING GASKET
--- 4 CONTINENTAL EXTREME CONTACT TIRES

What other maint items should I be concerned about?

Thanks
Looks like a good list, but dealer used Beisan kit instead of BMW kit? Did the dealer or previous owner did?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a good list, but dealer used Beisan kit instead of BMW kit? Did the dealer or previous owner did?
I'm not sure. Are there problems with the Beisan kit?

I appreciate your input as I'm rapidly trying to get up to speed on E46's.

Thanks,

Shon

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You want Besian orings. I rebuilt my vanos a few years ago with Besian orings and followed the excellent directions that were provided. Its still performing great. I noticed an immediate improvement in low RPMs while going up a hill I drive frequently. I haven't noticed any changes going up that hill.
You also want to ask about the subframe. I would get a pre-purchase inspection done by a professional that frequently examines BMWs of our era. Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think what he may have meant is it would be unusual for a BMW dealer to use Besian components so maybe a previous owner did the vanos work.
I would have a vanos test done if you can, I think lots of weekend DIYers rebuild vanos and it maybe isn't quite right for one reason or another, but it's rebuilt so it must be good...
Anyways, nice list of maintenance items, you would just want to do something about the subframe at some point is what sticks out to me if you want to complete the "big 3".
I would just pay someone to do plates if you ever get the idea you want the subframe area inspected for cracks as to truly find cracks the subframe must be dropped and undercoating scrapped away, at this point you may as well have plates installed.

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
You're definitely off to a good start.

I would definitely do the driveshaft giubo, the center support bearing on the driveshaft, and OEM or Rogue engineering transmission mounts.
Definitely rear trailer arm bushings.. You can go with Lemforder with limiters or Powerflex. I would recommend Lemforder.
Transmission fluid and diff fluid flush - use oem fluids on both.
And check out the rear subframe. I would 100% recommend the reinforcement with new subframe bushings.

What mileage was the rod bearing replaced at?

Reactions: GG///M3

·
Registered
131 Posts
You're definitely off to a good start.

I would definitely do the driveshaft giubo, the center support bearing on the driveshaft, and OEM or Rogue engineering transmission mounts.
Definitely rear trailer arm bushings.. You can go with Lemforder with limiters or Powerflex. I would recommend Lemforder.
Transmission fluid and diff fluid flush - use oem fluids on both.
And check out the rear subframe. I would 100% recommend the reinforcement with new subframe bushings.

What mileage was the rod bearing replaced at?
Yes at what mileage were they done?

If they tell you at 20k. Guess what ? They need to be done again.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,802 Posts
I'm not sure. Are there problems with the Beisan kit?

I appreciate your input as I'm rapidly trying to get up to speed on E46's.

Thanks,

Shon
Raj/Beisan was the original vanos guy. With complete write ups and support. Naturally immatation is the sincerest form of flattery. His seals and online instructions are great. An immigrant engineer who had a vanos issue and wanted to solve it. Viola' a business is born. Same for Jim Conforti, just a different product.

Get a PPI done by an independent that understands the model.

As I always encourage. Scan the car, not only for codes but readiness monitors. Monitors not set? WHY??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts