E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I’m not sure if this is the correct place for this post, let me know if it isn’t.

I bought my first e46 m3 last year and the s54 started knocking due to rod bearings a month after owning it. I decided to remove the engine myself after never doing it and having it rebuilt here in Santa Rosa at a well known engine shop.
So I got the engine back and I’m lost on where to start putting the accessories back on the long block. I have the book related to e46s but there doesn’t seem to be a page where it shows what to put back on first and it’s pretty overwhelming.
Are there any sources that you guys have or advice as a first timer trying to finish buttoning up the engine?
Anyways thanks for any help in advance

·
Registered
861 Posts
Hi guys I’m not sure if this is the correct place for this post, let me know if it isn’t.

I bought my first e46 m3 last year and the s54 started knocking due to rod bearings a month after owning it. I decided to remove the engine myself after never doing it and having it rebuilt here in Santa Rosa at a well known engine shop.
So I got the engine back and I’m lost on where to start putting the accessories back on the long block. I have the book related to e46s but there doesn’t seem to be a page where it shows what to put back on first and it’s pretty overwhelming.
Are there any sources that you guys have or advice as a first timer trying to finish buttoning up the engine?
Anyways thanks for any help in advance
Assembly s reverse of disassembly. You took it apart...put it back together the same way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Assembly s reverse of disassembly. You took it apart...put it back together the same way.
i bet he totally forgot how he took things off. I bet all the bolts are in the same bucket and i also bet he didnt take notes or pictures when he was removing stuff from the engine..

Then again, there's really not much bolt ons to do on the S54 long block... Exhaust headers, alternator, PS pump, AC pump, intake, connect wiring loom, gearbox if you removed the engine with it attached.. I really doubt there will be any instruction giving you step by step tutorial how to build up long block.. At best, you need to locate separate repair instructions for separate components and follow these.. or find a youtube video where they strip down S54 engine and follow it back in reverse order..

·
Registered
861 Posts
i bet he totally forgot how he took things off. I bet all the bolts are in the same bucket and i also bet he didnt take notes or pictures when he was removing stuff from the engine..

Then again, there's really not much bolt ons to do on the S54 long block... Exhaust headers, alternator, PS pump, AC pump, intake, connect wiring loom, gearbox if you removed the engine with it attached.. I really doubt there will be any instruction giving you step by step tutorial how to build up long block.. At best, you need to locate separate repair instructions for separate components and follow these.. or find a youtube video where they strip down S54 engine and follow it back in reverse order..
😂 Too many years ago I rebuilt a 57 Johnson 35hp outboard motor. I segregated parts, bolts etc. so I could remember how they went together but in fact I put all the parts back and even added parts/bolts that were missing from the last clown that worked on it! Today I cellphone pic everthing and use bits of tape and a sharpie, sigh. Yes, I was too harsh..

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,388 Posts
You should see when Johnny gets in over his head and brings the engine to my shop.
EVERY nut bolt and washer gas been removed. EVERYTHING that can come off....is. MF.

Realoem is a friend when trying to ascertain bolt sizes.
It's no fun forcing a 25 mm bolt into a 23 mm deep hole.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

You would've lost the bet. I had every bolt marked in sectional containers by length and position. I just was seriously clueless on where to start. I got the engine back together just today and fired it right up. Now the clutch is soft so im on to that issue now ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
You would've lost the bet. I had every bolt marked in sectional containers by length and position. I just was seriously clueless on where to start. I got the engine back together just today and fired it right up. Now the clutch is soft so im on to that issue now ;)
Glad to hear its running again. Did you re-use the old clutch? if so the old pressure plate is self adjusting so it had to be specially released before remounting, if you didnt do it that might be your clutch issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a whole new saches clutch kit so I’m not sure😢
Could be same issue with the new one. If im not wrong, they do come with installation pins in the pressure plate that you remove after bolting it on. Sometimes these pins are missing so it needs setting to installation position manually, or maybe they were accidentally removed too early. other than that you might have some air in the system. I would strongly suggest you give the system a good bleeding first as thats easy to do. if that doesn't cure it you are whipping the gearbox out next im afraid. There's really not a lot in the clutch system, master and slave cylinders on top of all that, but if those were reused and the clutch was fine before, i wouldn't waste time looking at them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.