BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thing, yes it looks ugly, but I will add a rollcage if I can and get the back recovered.

Removed the back seats, M mobility kit, and some carpeting.

Rear bottom (13.3lbs), rear left (12.7lbs), rear right (25lbs), rear side mouldings (3lbs x2), trunk carpet (6.9lbs), mobility kit (8.7lbs)=72.6lbs

M3 with driver and 1/2 tank gas=3600-72.6=3527.4lbs

Only 500lbs heavier than my brother's 03 ZO6 and just 130hp less-haha

It's a shame that cars these days just get bigger and heavier and bigger engines. I'd like to see a manufacturer give us a light, powerful, great handling car.

But, I still love the M3.

Here are a few pics

·
Registered
130 Posts
Unless you plan on taking your car to the track and keeping it there? It looks like you are ravaging your car for a few ticks on the stop watch.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thats cool......!

·
www.piratecove.org
3,699 Posts
get that new battery that tim got, weighs like 11lbs to replace the huge stock battery

·
Registered
286 Posts
ok, your turnin a M3 into somthin a lil worse than a Neon... you should take your radio/cd out too LOL

·
Mod Squad
10,081 Posts
Congrats. :thumbup: A lot of folks get wrapped up in adding h.p., but removing weight generally has far greater benefits.

It might be time to looking to some aftermarket racing buckets. Those should save ya a lil' weight. :)

·
booo for body roll.
3,406 Posts
i'd say get you some 10lbs recaros, one of those super light batteries, take out those headrests, your rear deck, and you should be set.

didnt someone say soemthing about 10lbs out = 1hp in?

·
call me kev :D
6,188 Posts
i think the biggest weight saving u can do is to get the titanium gruppm exhaust which is around 9lbs compared to stock's 55lbs

that's a good 46lbs saving right there :thumbup:

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
9,759 Posts
Az330im said:
10lbs to 1hp?! holy crap...are u sure? or did u mean 100lbs?
Nope that is correct. The general rule is every 10 lbs remove is equal to adding 1 HP. The upside to removing weight over adding HP is the additional gains you get. Adding HP only increases acceleration. Removing weight increases acceleration, handling and braking.

:thumbup: to M3RILL, glad to see another fan of lighter weight cars. I hate the current trend of adding a bigger motor instead of making the car lighter. Power to weight is the key and it could be done with lighter cars that handle and brake better.

Unfortunatly the marketing department has too much say in things so we have a "HP race" between companies.

Tim

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,960 Posts
you should look into this to

you can get a light weight fly wheel to to save some weight in your car. and
a carbon fibre bumber to for the front of your m3 to to shave off some weight. and
look into some of the performance exhaust systems like dinan
their exhausts are 20 to 25 lbs lighter than stock to.

geting alum or carbon fibre body parts for your fenders and trunk lid. or boot like our brish brothers say. you can save more weight
that way. but you are knocking the balance of your car out of whack. your car won't handle the same if you do what you are doing. if you have coilovers get your car corner balance to help
balance your car . that will help some what with your weight saving program. good luck with your project.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Banned
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The car was corner weighted when the coilovers were put in the summer.

The specs were
Camber F:-2.3
R:-1.7
Toe: F/R: 1/16 inches

That was before I took the back seats out.

I also have Evosport/champion RG-8 rims that I got earlier in the year

They are 18x9 front with 265/25/18 and 18x10 rear with 285/25/18

they weight about 18lbs for the front and 18.5 in the rear

I also have a B&B Triflo muffler which is a bit lighter than stock, not sure of the exact weight. Anybody know the comparison?

Are euro rotors ligher? Euro vs OEM weights?

·
Registered
457 Posts
thats kewl. do u have GT3 seats up front, also what are u going to do with the back, leave it like that..anythin to cover the mess?

·
Registered
760 Posts
oh, don't forget to remove the loose coins under the seats - that's worth at least 5 lbs :D

·
booo for body roll.
3,406 Posts
anyways, instead of telling him ways he could spend money.. im sure he alrady knows these.. lets think of more ideas he could use to lose weight for free! perhaps sound deadening material along the firewall and in the trunk areA?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts