E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy that does work on my car just called me and said that the race m3 that he is building to race has to have the regular hood on it because of some stupid rule in that class. So he calls and said the car goes to the body shop monday and he needs a hood by then and can't find one.so he offers to trade my hood for the m3 hood, install it, and give me 100dollars I was so surprised I told him I would get back to him later today, what should I do?
Should I get the hood? THe only thing that Im worried about is getting it painted after it is installed. and im afraid that the color when they do paint it will be off and not match. What should I do?:dunno::dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
332 Posts
e popa said:
A guy that does work on my car just called me and said that the race m3 that he is building to race has to have the regular hood on it because of some stupid rule in that class. So he calls and said the car goes to the body shop monday and he needs a hood by then and can't find one.so he offers to trade my hood for the m3 hood, install it, and give me 100dollars I was so surprised I told him I would get back to him later today, what should I do?
Should I get the hood? THe only thing that Im worried about is getting it painted after it is installed. and im afraid that the color when they do paint it will be off and not match. What should I do?:dunno::dunno: :dunno:

Go for it!:thumbup:

·
Registered
208 Posts
sounds like a great deal but i would be worried about the paint job too why dont u go to a paing shop and talk to them see what they say

·
Registered
449 Posts
Uhm - I don't thnk the m3 hood will fit a standard e46 w/o some modification - the "power hump" or whatever won't allow a clean fit w/ the rest of the car.

Do a search on this. Unless you're dead serious about putting an M3 hood on your car, the modification will surely cost more than the additional $100 he's giving you...

e popa said:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Run a search, it has been many times and discussed at length in the past few weeks.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just ran one and it seemed like the people talking just heard of someone that did it. Is there anyone on that has it done that could answer some ques. I want to know if i need to change anything else out like are the kidneys different,do I need dif. hood shocks,dif.washer jets or dif. insulation that goes uder the hood or can i use the old stuff. If anyone knows please help?
And please list anything that I missed. Thanks

·
Registered
449 Posts
Check this thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com//showthread.php?s=&threadid=68635&highlight=m3+hood

It looks like you just need to modify the front fenders to get rid of the gap, as well as change the stock hood shocks since they are now lifting a lighter hood.

Just go to your local BMW bodyshop.

e popa said:
i just ran one and it seemed like the people talking just heard of someone that did it. Is there anyone on that has it done that could answer some ques. I want to know if i need to change anything else out like are the kidneys different,do I need dif. hood shocks,dif.washer jets or dif. insulation that goes uder the hood or can i use the old stuff. If anyone knows please help?
And please list anything that I missed. Thanks

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I need some good pics of the gap left from installing this hood on a regular e46.

·
Registered
300 Posts
i've done it,this was BEFORE adjustment

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
if you want to put it on without adjustment be prepared to get a lot of people giving sings your hood is still open at a red light :thumbdwn:

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
now it's like this,it's alot beter but sorry for the shiiiieeeetty foto
i don't have my camera with me wright now,
they need to bring the backside more up and bend the front sides of the hood so it matches the fenders better although it's not even close to 100%

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts