E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I recently charge my spark plugs, ignition coils and oil because my m3 was startling when I remove my leg from the gas pedal. I went to near by autozone and got a quick scan which came back as misfiring at cyl 1,2,3,4 with basic scan tool. So I came both spark plugs and ignition coil and engine oil.

Now I was able to run INPA scan on my car because still have the startling issue. I got 12 Error code and I dont know where to start from. All code below and I really need help so thank you in advance to whoever can help.

Codes
213 Misfire Multiple Cylinders without Cyl Cutout. (213 aussetzer mehr zylinder abgas)
210 Misfire Cyl 6 without Cyl Cutout. (210 Aussetzer zyl.6 Abgas)
209 Misfire Cyl 5 without Cyl Cutout (209 Aussetzer zyl.5 Abgas)
208 Misfire Cyl 4 without Cyl Cutout (208 Aussetzer zyl.4 Abgas)
207 Misfire Cyl 3 without Cyl Cutout (207 Aussetzer zyl.3 Abgas)
206 Misfire Cyl 2 without Cyl Cutout (206 Aussetzer zyl.2 Abgas)
205 Misfire Cyl 1 without Cyl Cutout (205 Aussetzer zyl.1 Abgas)
90 DME: Function, oxygen-sensor control, cyl. 1-3
79 DME: Electric throttle: both potentiometers faulty
78 DME: Electric throttle: potentiometer, signal comparison
77 DME: Electric throttle: signal, potentiometer, servomotor
13 DME: Relay, secondary-air pump

I thinking of VANOS issues base on what I have been reading on the internet, I am very new to the E46 so I definitely need a little more help please.

BMW dealership told me, VALVE COVER LEAKING OIL. I definitely saw some oil around some of the spark plugs when I was changing them.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,264 Posts
I'm used to seeing multiple misfires AND vanos codes together, suggesting vanos pump tab failure. You don't have such.

I'm concerned with the throttle associated faults.
Clear, drive and see what flags.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But none of the code comes back as vanos so I am not too sure. I am planing on changing my valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
13 Posts
are there any permanent fault codes? what codes return after clearing and driving? I'd look into the throttle faults personally.

·
Registered
361 Posts
i had the same problem 3 years ago. misfiring on cyl 1, 3, 6. Couldn't go pass 2500 rpm. Took it to a nearby shop and end up having to replace spark plug and ignition coils. Everything was good and running again after the fix. good luck with the fix

·
Registered
488 Posts
So I recently charge my spark plugs, ignition coils and oil because my m3 was startling when I remove my leg from the gas pedal. I went to near by autozone and got a quick scan which came back as misfiring at cyl 1,2,3,4 with basic scan tool. So I came both spark plugs and ignition coil and engine oil.

Now I was able to run INPA scan on my car because still have the startling issue. I got 12 Error code and I dont know where to start from. All code below and I really need help so thank you in advance to whoever can help.

Codes
213 Misfire Multiple Cylinders without Cyl Cutout. (213 aussetzer mehr zylinder abgas)
210 Misfire Cyl 6 without Cyl Cutout. (210 Aussetzer zyl.6 Abgas)
209 Misfire Cyl 5 without Cyl Cutout (209 Aussetzer zyl.5 Abgas)
208 Misfire Cyl 4 without Cyl Cutout (208 Aussetzer zyl.4 Abgas)
207 Misfire Cyl 3 without Cyl Cutout (207 Aussetzer zyl.3 Abgas)
206 Misfire Cyl 2 without Cyl Cutout (206 Aussetzer zyl.2 Abgas)
205 Misfire Cyl 1 without Cyl Cutout (205 Aussetzer zyl.1 Abgas)
90 DME: Function, oxygen-sensor control, cyl. 1-3
13 DME: Relay, secondary-air pump

I thinking of VANOS issues base on what I have been reading on the internet, I am very new to the E46 so I definitely need a little more help please.

BMW dealership told me, VALVE COVER LEAKING OIL. I definitely saw some oil around some of the spark plugs when I was changing them.
Wow. I'm more inclined to think bad parts or various things left unplugged or boogered when you got in/out of there. No offense...it seems I manage to leave that plug/socket disconnected near the oil filter canister every time I change oil/filter. Luckily it goes away when reconnected or I clear code with OBDII reader.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,765 Posts
if I were to make a quick guess, I would look into the TPS. it would cause the other codes also if bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I just replace the front TPS, it cleared all the cyl 1-6 misfiring. Only six codes left,

M3 Code: this is the remain code, can I get some help please.

121 Both throttle caps
120 Throttle potentiometer comparison
119 Throttle valve potentiometer 2
118 Throttle cap potentiometer 1
13 Lambda Sensor Post Cat Bank 1

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,264 Posts
Check the continuity of both throttle pots back to the DME. (Harness/connection integrity.)
If good, I'd likely start with two new throttle pot switches.

I've seen these go down a dark path once.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts