BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i thought i would post since i have been getting mad pm's about my bumper...here is the rundown

-i did it myself, with the help of my brother
-it is an OEM 2003 m3 bumper
-it was not cut or molded or fiberglassed at all
-no new brackets, or tubes, or air ducts were added
-it took me about an hour and a half to do
-the only modifications i made were to move the brackets in toward the center of the car an inch...i also cut the bumper reinforcement 8 inches on each side to accomodate the m3 bumper
-i removed the CF bumper reinforcement and used the OEM 323i bumper reinforcement
-this mod cost me nothing besides the cost of the bumper and the cost to paint it (total=$300)
-check out the pictures in My gallery and you can see pictures of the mod in progress

aight peeps if anyone can help me with a DIY (for some reason i cant get pics to post) pm me and we can do a DIY write up!

·
Banned
600 Posts
That doesn't look too bad. The only thing that clashes would be the sedan front. It is most likely thought because I am used to seeing the Mtech bumper on the coupe.

Otherwise good job. Looks really clean. :thumbup:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey Dankbmw.. how did you attach the metal reinforcement bar to the m3 bumper cover? Did you use epoxy, or where you able to use the oem plastic push rivets to attach the two? Thanks :)

dankbmw said:
alright i thought i would post since i have been getting mad pm's about my bumper...here is the rundown

-i did it myself, with the help of my brother
-it is an OEM 2003 m3 bumper
-it was not cut or molded or fiberglassed at all
-no new brackets, or tubes, or air ducts were added
-it took me about an hour and a half to do
-the only modifications i made were to move the brackets in toward the center of the car an inch...i also cut the bumper reinforcement 8 inches on each side to accomodate the m3 bumper
-i removed the CF bumper reinforcement and used the OEM 323i bumper reinforcement
-this mod cost me nothing besides the cost of the bumper and the cost to paint it (total=$300)
-check out the pictures in My gallery and you can see pictures of the mod in progress

aight peeps if anyone can help me with a DIY (for some reason i cant get pics to post) pm me and we can do a DIY write up!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i used jb weld to hold the reinforcement to the bumper, it is awesome and it was $3 at auto zone...i really am not into the look of either m-tech bumper, i love the m3 bumper, and i love the look it gives, until i can afford a real one!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
beautiful :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
472 Posts
awesome bro..... could you post some more pics..... I might be doing this to my sisters 325i...... :idea: :craig: :drool:

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Hmm, really interesting :) Major props, but I thought moving the bumper over a little wasn't the original fitment problem, it was that the bumper itself is wider than a sedan, so the ends "flare out" on each side? So moving the bumper over a little would get one end lined up, but the other would be out too far??

Dunno, never had one in hand to try, but this is very good news!! :D thanks!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it does not arc, although i heard i would encounter this problem, fortunately there is no arc and the bumper is flush...and the bumper did stick out the sides where it meets the fender, this is why you must compensate by moving the brackets 1 inch toward the center of the car, as well as trimming the bumper reinforcemnet. i made no modification to the fender or the bumper at all.

I also wanted to state that i did this on a 2000 323i, i do not know if this will work on a facelifted sedan, a coupe, or a vert, or even a 99 323i or 01 325i, although i wouldnt see why it wouldnt.

i dont know why there is so much folklore and rumors about this modification, i really encountered no problems.

you can see more pics on my gallery page, where i put up photos of the bumper mod in progress. :thumbup:

Thanks for the love y'all

·
Registered
11,168 Posts
omg.... that sounds awesome.
what year m3 bumper did you get and what exactly is needed?
(will shell just work, or do you need the brackets still on. can you transfer the brackets from ur current bumper to the m3)
how bout a comprehensive DIY, im really interested.
:thumbup: best news ive heard all week

edit: ok.... so looking through your gallery, looks like you had to screw in one of the edges?
and it looks tike theres a space under the clear corner?
and howd u move the bracket, cant really tell from teh pic

·
Registered
720 Posts
That's awesome, how much did the front bumper cost ya?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts