BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay guys,

I think everyone remembers the lively thread about the M3 that went for $25K on eBay, right? Check this out to refresh your memory: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?threadid=44661 . There was also another post about this by billjohnbill who also posted in the thread above (can't find that one for the life of me), begging for the $5K he was missing in order to buy the car.

Now, what most people don't realize is that there were TWO identical eBay auctions for the same car: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1873314730 and http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1873236021

Also, when billjohnbill posted his messages I emailed him and asked what the deal was with the car. All he did he said he wants to buy it althogh he's not the highest bidder and he needs $5K - everything else I asked (why would I give him money, what's the condition of the car etc) he ignored.

Sooo, I let it go. Until a few days ago when I noticed someone added me as their contacts on MSN. It was this dude named "Crukner" with the email address [email protected]. I saw the person logged in today and asked who he/she was. He said "It's Jason, with the M3" - this time the actual "seller". So we start talking and he says he's got the car, a lot of buyers lines up, wants to buy an M5, he's in NY but the car is in LA (all of which we knew from that thread) and that he wants to make sure he won't get ripped off if he selles it to some dude on the Internet. I said I understand, if the car is for real I would pay cash for it and I can prove that I have the money by faxing him my latest savings account balance. He says "how about we use escrow". I said great, let's do it. Now, here's the funny part: he suggests we use this site called www.energy-escrow.com because they are reliable, he used them before and also ship cars. He said we
would split the escrow costs. I was all exited before I realized the energy-escrow.com domain was regoistered a few weeks ago by someone supposedly in LA although they claim they do business in Alberta, CA. More than that, I traced back the number in their registrar record to a courier service in LA (called them and they were legit but didn't hear ANYTHING about an escrow serive at that number or address) and also found out (by calling the number) that the name or address associated with the number is bogus. I exchanged some emails with the guy just now and he insists on using THAT site, not escrow.com which is what eBay uses so very reputable. This Energy Escrow accepts only wire transfers and e-Gold (whatever that is) so, needless to say, it is similar to the scams on the Internet that claim they sell you 421" Plasma TVs for $900 if you send them the money in Ukraine via Western Union.

All in all - be very careful when dealing with this dude, I am sure more members of the board fell for this. His other email addres is [email protected]

More to come,
Sergiu

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More clues

Now, here's more possible clues this guy is a scam artist and a damn good one:
- this might be a speculation but I am Romanian and that part of the world (all Eastern Europe in fact) is the capital of scams and they all end up with some sucker paying money via wire transfer which is never recoverable. So, in Romanian his user name tepar.concentrat literally translates to "scam_artist.cooncentrated". ALSO, his name (when he sends emails) shows up as "Tepar Pebune" which translates to "ScamArtist ForReal" - might be a coincidence but I think now

- If I remember correctlym the eBay auction was initially by a member named "[email protected]" (someone said "
the dude is in the UK" becaus ethey saw this email) and it's now (if you click on it) by "member771394" - of course the dude might have just changed his user name. However, the private auction (twice) and the escrow site scam are still valid facts.

- it's possible that the dude broke into someone's eBay account so he can use the high feedback - as I said in my previous post, I am in the market for a 42" Plasma TV and there was a series of eBay auctions by 4 different users with feedbacks 3000 and up which were nearly identical and ended with sale prices of $900 - $1400. I emailed all 4 users and 3 said someone broke in their account and illegaly psoted the auctions while the 4th gave me the story about having a chain of stores in Ukraine and one TV left which he was gonna ship for free if I wired him the money via Western Union. We talked for 3 days and every single time he refused to use anything else but a wire transfer service. Naturally, I gave up...

ANyway, post here if you are also talking to this Jason guy and think he's fishy...

Sergiu

·
Registered OG User
586 Posts
Where In CA is this car? I want to go and check it out to see if it has an engine or not. But nonetheless, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fixed auction links

See original post

Also, I have no idea where in Cali the car is - he said he'd ship it to Boston if I escrow all the money and then I would have 2 weeks to buy it or return it to him (he's in NY)

Shady, shady

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more thing

Is there any way to get the current owner of a car based on the VIN? I am wondering if the real owner has any idea his car is so heavily "advertised" on the web.

S

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
great info.... thanks for sharing
good thing i didnt have the money to buy it i probably would have fell for it.... not that i'd buy a used m3 :eeps:

stuck for all to see so no one gets scammed

·
Registered
201 Posts
you said this:

More than that, I traced back the number in their registrar record to a courier service in LA (called them and they were legit but didn't hear ANYTHING about an escrow serive at that number or address) and also found out (by calling the number) that the name or address associated with the number is bogus

I am interested what number your talking about. Also , what registrar record?

Also, how did u do this investigative stuff. I would like to know incase I wanna buy something and this same type of scenario ur speaking of does happen.

·
Registered
374 Posts
here's the WHOIS record:

Domain Name.......... energy-escrow.com
Creation Date........ 2002-11-21
Registration Date.... 2002-11-21
Expiry Date.......... 2003-11-21
Organisation Name.... Energy Es.Intl
Organisation Address. 5265 HOLLYWOOD BLVD
Organisation Address.
Organisation Address. Los angeles
Organisation Address. 90027
Organisation Address. CA
Organisation Address. UNITED STATES

Admin Name........... JAGAPUNT ROJBOONSONGSRI
Admin Address........ 5265 HOLLYWOOD BLVD
Admin Address........
Admin Address........ Los angeles
Admin Address........ 90027
Admin Address........ CA
Admin Address........ UNITED STATES
Admin Email.......... [email protected]
Admin Phone.......... (323)4645121
Admin Fax............

Tech Name............ Verio Hostmaster
Tech Address......... 5050 Blue Lake Dr.
Tech Address.........
Tech Address......... Boca Raton
Tech Address......... 33431
Tech Address......... FL
Tech Address......... UNITED STATES
Tech Email........... [email protected]
Tech Phone........... 888-663-6648
Tech Fax.............
Name Server.......... ns19a.nameservers.net
Name Server.......... ns19b.nameservers.net

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yep, register.com

Then I used The Ultimate White Pages (one of the reverse lookup forms - Switchboard.com also has one) to come up with the address and name of the person/business with that phone number:

Sunrise Delivery Service

1011 Cole Ave
LOS ANGELES, CA 90038
323-464-5121

You see how the address doesn't match and also they had no idea about the escrow service.

Believe me, these guys got a good scam going, it's usually easy to spot people like this because their prices are too good to be true (which is the case ehre as well) and they ask you to unconditionally wire them money to some Ukranian address without escrow involved. These ones though kinda wait for you to suggest escrow and little do you know that they "own" the escrow service. Also the guy was not afraid to call me, he was really good about connecting all the ansers with me putting down a deposit or the whole amount etc etc.

Sergiu

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
VIN retrace

So, is there any way (or does anyone have access to this information) to retrace the VIN for this car to the current owner? There's places on the web that do that for like $40 but if I can do it for free what the hell - I'm on to this guy now :)

Let me know,
Sergiu

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you moderators

For making this a sticky. I doubt the guy will get back to me but I'm trying to keep the dialog open and report here with any updates.

Again, if anyone has dealt with this guy pleae post here, I hope nobody wired him or Energy Escrow any money...

Thanks,
Sergiu

·
Nonsense Generator
1,110 Posts
it is similar to the scams on the Internet that claim they sell you 421" Plasma TVs for $900 if you send them the money in Ukraine via Western Union.

Stay away from anything, ANYTHING dealing with Russia/Ukraine etc. and Western Union. I know too many people (including myself) who have been scammed this way.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts