BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I know this is my first post but I really hope I can find someone who can help me! I have been browsing these forums for a while but just only recently signed up.

So before I bought my e46 m3 I had a 330ci, in the 330ci I upgraded the speakers and put a new head unit in (EONON GA9150A). This was fairly simple as the head unit come with the wiring adaptor, I just plugged it in and it worked.

Wiring Adaptor:

Now when I bought my M3 I thought I would be able to simply switch it over using the same wiring adaptor, however, in the M3 there was already a cable there which looked like it went straight into my headunit.

M3 Cable:

So me being me without checking I just decided to plug it in and fire it up, after a few seconds there was a pop and smoke started coming from the head unit. Obviously this is not the right wire for the device. I checked the fuse and it was still intact so the unit is most properly toast.

I want to buy the same head unit again but don’t know what to do next, do I need to get a completely new wire or can I find another adaptor to fit this?

This doesn’t look like a standard wire, I tried following it but it goes into the boot somewhere and after taking half of the car apart I gave up

Wire:

Old headunit:

New headunit:

Sorry this post is a little long – Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just because the connector is the same, doesn***8217;t mean the wires are going to match the pins of your new unit. You are going to need to pull the wiring diagram for the m3 and make sure it matches to the new unit. If it does and it still blows the unit you***8217;ll have a bigger problem.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You clearly have an aftermarket head unit there so you will need to look in the trunk/boot and work out what those wires connect to and repin the connector to work for the new head unit. Of course if you fried the new head unit you will still have that problem.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I'd first determine what the car had from the factory. Then decide if you will use any of that stuff. If you don't want to use it I would run all new speaker wires. That takes out all the guess work and the factory speaker wires are quite thin, plus yours looks like its already been chopped about. Run an extra pair of RCA's and a control wire to the back as well for the sub you will likely need.

Dynamat or siimilar helps no matter which way you choose.

Have fun!

·
Registered
208 Posts
The Chinese head units can have 2 types of wire harnesses - one works with systems that originally came with bmw navigation systems, and the other works with the standard cd players (these harnesses dont run to the trunk)

If the car orignally had the bmw navigation system, it would require a long wire that runs from the head unit to the trunk to plug into the amp. It looks like this is what you already have in there, except you probably plugged it into an entirely different make/brand, which fried it. It's pretty dumb that they decided to all use the same shape connector for the wire, but not the same pin configurations.

Anyways, when you buy a new unit, you'll have to order the long wire harness with it. The rest is plug and play as usual, assuming there was no damage to the amp.

·
Registered
02 M3, F85, Previous F10 M5, F90
27 Posts
I have a similar issue I just encountered on the m3 I recently picked up. My car came with Nav originally and HK system. I picked up Eonon GA9450B which allows for Apple car play as long as you use apple lighting cable plugged into the phone. The catch was that when you have OEM nav you must use adapter harness A0587 as 40pin male connectors is in the trunk driver side where all stereo components are. I ran the adapter and 40 pin make plug was in the stereo unit in the rear, HK amp was separate and had separate connector which didn’t match to anything on the adapter harness so i left it plugged in the HK amp. I powered the unit and it works from Bluetooth, gps, etc but zero sound.. even radio seems to work as far as being able to see stations which leads me to believe antenna is working fine but no sound? Likely something with how speakers are wired into amp but no connector on the adapter plate for the amp?
Eonon advertises this as plug and play.. from what I’ve seen works flawlessly on models without Nav, very simple install..
Anyone came across this issue that can shed some light on the situation?
Greatly appreciate the help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here are the pics to support previous post.. first pic shows factory connector which goes to factory nav unit thus needed adapter harness for Eonon which runs all the way back to trunk area. Second pic shows the radio unit which has the 40 pin connector that mates to one of the connectors on the harness.. (looks like other connectors are for different BMW models etc) in this pic you can also see HK amp in the background. Last pic is the actual adapter harness and exact connectors that it comes with.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Couple more images for reference.
First two pics: HK/Becker factory headunit
Pic three and four: Left side factory headunit 40 pin plug going into adapter harness. Notice that upper part of factory harness those pins don't connect to anything on adapter harness? I'm speculating those could be the speaker wires, etc?
Pic five: HK amp and its plug.. as mentioned before this plug doesnt match to any plugs on the harness which leads me to believe it stays plugged in the amp?

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Problem solved, contact Eonon CSR and they came back with this image.. the instructions that came with the radio are super crappy hence not being able to figure it out. Long story short, besides using adapter harness you still need to use one of these small harnesses with cream color plug only to utilize the blue wire to connect the factory amp..

Also to get the rear camera to work, typically cameras come with power and ground which needs to be tapped into your reverse light *brown ground / colored wire power".. then at the headunit where RCA plug into the unit there is usually a trigger wire. This wire is located in the glove box fuse box, you need to drop the fuse box and unclamp a large connector one the left, then look at back of the wires and find blue/yellow wire which shows constant 12v when reverse is on, use volt meter for this.. for me it was second wire from the left. Tap into that and run it back to headunit. That's it.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts