E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a stupid quetions so I apologize ahead of time. Basically the title speaks for itself. Is it possible to swap a M3 E36 engine into an '02 330xi which is an E46?

Any info on this would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
As the saying goes with enough money anything can be done but it is probably illegal. In most states it is illegal to put an older engine in a newer chassis.

What would the gain/point be?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I think it would be alot cheaper to turbocharge the 330 then replace it with an old M3 engine... Unless the 330 engine is broke, then I would go for a 2nd hand (crashed car) replacement if money is an issue. :dunno:

My € 0,02

Andy

·
Registered
703 Posts
Although the 3.2 in the E36 is a lot more revvy than then 3.0 in your car it made only 240 HP in the US.. so you'd gain a whopping 15HP in stock form. Your car is a lot heavier than an M3 so the engine would not perform as well, meaning the driveability of the engine would be different due to the extra weight of your car and the addition of the 4WD system. Now if you was tuned like a Euro E36 M3 it would have 317 HP out of the box.... now that would be :pimpin: in a Xi.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.