E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1 I was curious if you needed to remove the top-end speed limiter to accurately dyno (not sure of how the process works). i.e., if they tend to run it to redline in 5th then you should be hitting the cap in theory...

#2 If they have never done a SMG before, is there anything special to tell them?

#3 Do you sit in the car or is it all electronic? (i.e. are you accelerating manually)

#4 I assume you go in S6, DSC off, sport on (not sure if that matters)?

#5 Also, I've been looking through archive and I've seen a variety of results of rwhp. Seems the range is 270-295 (stock). That seem accurate?

#6 How long do you run at redline for generally to get a measuring?

#7 The place I called localled (Extreme Motorsports) said they do 3 runs for $95...Expensive? Ok?

·
Banned
1,649 Posts
Let me see if I can answer these at al.

1 - I think they usually dyno in 3rd because that is the closest to 1:1 ratio so NO, you dont need to remove the top speed limiter

2 - I dont know.... I dont think so but I do know that you have to pull a fuse or do something because the computer will freak out if the front wheels are not moving and go into limp mode

3 - 99% of the time its the dyno tech who does this. First, he goes a little bit in 1st, then goes to second and then third... on third he holds a specific speed so that the drums can calibrate themselves and then he floors it

4 - Shift mode should not matter because the car is not shifing

5 - Im curious as well

6 - Im curious as well

7 - That seems a tad high.

AdamR

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,683 Posts
5 - 333 HP then subtract 15% driveline loss and you get 283 HP so that range sounds about right.

Tim

·
Big in Japan
1,120 Posts
4- DSC TOTALLY OFF, not partially; I think you need to hold the button down for 10 secconds or something, you will know its totally off because you cant turn it back on (aka light off) by pressing the button. (in my 330ci, the brake light also comes on to let you know its totally off)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone here done a Dyno on a 2001-2003 M3? If so:

Did you need to tweak the fuse thing or was DSC off adequate?

Is it ok to go into Neutral (0) once you are moving? I called up a dyno shop -- they said they run it from 30-120 in 4th gear (so the top end limiter shouldn't matter).. then the dyno slows the wheels down (while its in neutral).. Can you do that in SMG and is it ok?

This other place quoted $75 to get a baseline (3-5 runs)...

Neither place had done a 2001-2003 E46 M3 yet (they had done E36).. Am going to call my service manager to see what he says..

·
Law Enforcer
…’22 992 Carrera C2S arriving soon!!!
2,355 Posts
I heard it's rather difficult to dyno M3's. I haven't dyno'd mine yet. Which fuse to you have to pull?

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
here is what BMW will tell you : learned from BMW M (know a technician there) that the E46 M3 is not easy to test on a dyno because it is not set up for such a test. If one wants to dyno the M3, one should have a diagnostic kit (dealers have such kits) and define "dyno test" (in German "Rollenprüfstand") before running the car on the dyno. Otherwise the result would be miss leading (actually wrong) according to BMW M GmbH. BMW struggles a lot with customers who are disappointed with their dyno results because they don't know that the E46 M3 cannot be tested correctly without diagnostic kit (Problem: 5th gear hits speed limiter on the dyno and 4th doesn't work !). The "dyno mode", however, deactivates the speed limiter in 5th gear. Don't ask me how exactly it works...

real life results(manual):eek:n dyno the car was not willing to go above something like 5500rpm until they pushed the dsc for 7-10 sec - early on people had a fuse pulling routine to accomplish the same thing ( evan i think) - we didn't pull any fuses & w/ the long push on the dsc we got good - redline read

note for SMG: i have heard that SMG requires some trickery with the key ignition position and DSC button and something it does not work every time...kinda a hit or miss redline readout...heard this from a few guys but cant say ...so dont take my word for it

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RichP said:
4- DSC TOTALLY OFF, not partially; I think you need to hold the button down for 10 secconds or something, you will know its totally off because you cant turn it back on (aka light off) by pressing the button. (in my 330ci, the brake light also comes on to let you know its totally off)
After you turn off/on the car again, is it back to normal (i.e. defaulted to being on aka light off)?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John from jersey said:
here is what BMW will tell you : learned from BMW M (know a technician there) that the E46 M3 is not easy to test on a dyno because it is not set up for such a test. If one wants to dyno the M3, one should have a diagnostic kit (dealers have such kits) and define "dyno test" (in German "Rollenprüfstand") before running the car on the dyno. Otherwise the result would be miss leading (actually wrong) according to BMW M GmbH. BMW struggles a lot with customers who are disappointed with their dyno results because they don't know that the E46 M3 cannot be tested correctly without diagnostic kit (Problem: 5th gear hits speed limiter on the dyno and 4th doesn't work !). The "dyno mode", however, deactivates the speed limiter in 5th gear. Don't ask me how exactly it works...

real life results(manual):eek:n dyno the car was not willing to go above something like 5500rpm until they pushed the dsc for 7-10 sec - early on people had a fuse pulling routine to accomplish the same thing ( evan i think) - we didn't pull any fuses & w/ the long push on the dsc we got good - redline read

note for SMG: i have heard that SMG requires some trickery with the key ignition position and DSC button and something it does not work every time...kinda a hit or miss redline readout...heard this from a few guys but cant say ...so dont take my word for it
If you have the Dinan chip upgrade, the speed limiter shouldn't kick in, and should resolve that problem, right?

What do you mean 4th doesn't work?

Anyone you know of that has accomplished successful SMG readings? Thanks

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
[QUOTEIf you have the Dinan chip upgrade, the speed limiter shouldn't kick in, and should resolve that problem, right?[/QUOTE]

i dont believe the Dinan chip will eliminate the manipluation that needs to be performed to run on a dyno

[/QUOTE]What do you mean 4th doesn't work?[/QUOTE]

not sure, i cut and paste that paragraph from a past email i saved

[/QUOTE]Anyone you know of that has accomplished successful SMG readings? Thanks [/B] [/QUOTE]

yes i have heard a few thay have dynoed SMGII M3's on roadfly.com (although the M division states their method w/o the diagnostic software is not 100% accurate) try posting on that board and u may find a better answer for SMG

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've asked a few times -- havn't really found the right way to dyno the M3 SMG.

A few people have spurious results with a variety of tactics, but nothing that has worked for me (hold DSC for 6 seconds, 12, 20, in different key positions, different times, etc etc).

Still trying to find something that will turn the DSC light on permanently (until you turn the car off and back on) -- i.e. disable DSC permanently that doesn't require pulling fuses.

·
Banned
620 Posts
5th gear is the m3's 1:1 gear. The speedlimiter will have to be disable to use 5th gear, this is the only right way to do it.

·
Banned
620 Posts
Posted by shep01 on Roadfly:

1-start the car & run to 6k in 1st gear
2- turn car off but not all the way with the key ( pos. #1)
3- turn key back to pos. #2 so dash is all lit
4- hold down dsc for 20 sec
5- continue to turn the key to start the car - do not return the key to pos.#1
6- sport button engaged the car should rev just fine now

if this doen't work the first time turn it off and start this routine again - 2nd or 3rd time sometimes before it works ( we don't jave a clue why)

let us know if this works for you - it had worked for others, even with smg cars

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sticky2 said:
Posted by shep01 on Roadfly:

1-start the car & run to 6k in 1st gear
2- turn car off but not all the way with the key ( pos. #1)
3- turn key back to pos. #2 so dash is all lit
4- hold down dsc for 20 sec
5- continue to turn the key to start the car - do not return the key to pos.#1
6- sport button engaged the car should rev just fine now

if this doen't work the first time turn it off and start this routine again - 2nd or 3rd time sometimes before it works ( we don't jave a clue why)

let us know if this works for you - it had worked for others, even with smg cars
I'll try again (I tried steps 2-6, 1 I was just driving so figured that was enough) and post results in a moment...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I tried a bunch of methods. I could never force the DSC light to stay on permanently.

I did find a way to activate it (i.e. light OFF) for about 30 seconds, but never found a way to do the opposite.

Tried running in 1st to 6, stopping, etc etc.

If anyone has figured a way to dyno a 03 SMG, please email me. Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts