E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

i have a quick question has anyone changed the exhaust tips on there Dinan exhaust ?

i love the sound of it with my headers, just want to give it a different look

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2003 M3 Cabrio 6MT
61 Posts
I have not done that.
The Dinan exhaust only comes out one side (the left side is fake), I would guess this is why they are black. . . so you don't only see deposits on one side. Hope that helps

Reactions: SloopJohnB

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yeah, I wish I'd known about the fake one side. Dinan claims more HP from the longer, radius run, but I dunno. Less is more generally in terms of back pressure unless the resonance or whatever leans out the motor too much; in the case of EFI I would expect the ECU to compensate and maintain best power and cruise mixtures.

In the case of stock zenith CV carbs on a 73 XKE V12 (4 of them!) with OEM Abarth exhaust and an incompetent dealer in Okie City, that turned out not to be the case because the Jag literally incinerated 12 plugs every 600 miles or so. I told the guy to go back to his dealer and have the carbs correctly jetted as well as the needles correctly sized; problem went away.

Now I haven't compared Dinan's exhaust with for example an akropovic or other aftermarket exhaust in terms of realized HP gains, but I would be surprised where lower peak back pressure on an NA motor results in lower peak horsepower (yeah yeah, increased back pressure might increase torque at lower RPM).

·
Premium Member
2003 M3 Cabrio 6MT
61 Posts
Steve Dinan does lots of testing. I'm sure they didn't want to make the fake side unless the benefits were real. Some people say they did the quad exhaust to match the M5, but only the M5 really needed it. The horsepower differences are so small between good set ups, I would just go by #1 sound and #2 looks =D

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Steve Dinan does lots of testing, I'm sure they didn't want to make the fake side unless the benefits were real. Some people say they did the quad exhaust to match the M5, but only the M5 really needed it. The horsepower differences are so small between good set ups, I would just go by #1 sound and #2 looks =D
lol. If you believe that I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. If only one side of the exhaust is real it was probably done that way for cost savings. For as much as it cost the Dinan exhaust on my 540 doesn't fit properly. But hey it's got that engraved D on the tip.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,981 Posts
Steve Dinan does lots of testing, I'm sure they didn't want to make the fake side unless the benefits were real.
exactly, they said during testing they wanted to make the other set of tips open but the power was just lost. yes Dinan does a boat load of testing at its facility, even working with BMW. it’s silly to think that they were cutting cost. it would be nothing to run another internal pipe for what these sell for. heck the tips cost more than any minor internal tubing.
OP sorry haven’t read anyone actually changing those tips.

·
Registered
857 Posts
My Dinan tips are faded and I'd like to refresh back to black. Not sure how though.
Contact dinan and ask them. But I think they're stainless steel, virtually anything you do is going to abrade the coating. I put this right up there with Garage Squad using 4/0 steel wool on old chrome bumpers. I suppose it's possible to remove the muffler and get the tips recolored. If it's anodized stainless I think they're plated with aluminum and then anodized. Or ceramic coated tips...

·
Registered
2005 M3 SMG Convertable
209 Posts
Speaking of exhaust tips, I have been looking around for a set that are flared at the end. By flared, I mean they are horned out a bit at the end like the exhaust on a Corvette z06. I think that will look nice on the M3. Actually, I think I have seen it before but can't seem to find a single picture on an M3.
Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2006 325Ci M56 5MT 2004 M3 6MT
1,093 Posts
Speaking of exhaust tips, I have been looking around for a set that are flared at the end. By flared, I mean they are horned out a bit at the end like the exhaust on a Corvette z06. I think that will look nice on the M3. Actually, I think I have seen it before but can't seem to find a single picture on an M3.
I think its generally known as Double Walled tips.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Speaking of exhaust tips, I have been looking around for a set that are flared at the end. By flared, I mean they are horned out a bit at the end like the exhaust on a Corvette z06. I think that will look nice on the M3. Actually, I think I have seen it before but can't seem to find a single picture on an M3. View attachment 949199

1 - 16 of 16 Posts