E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
E46 332i M3 E30 325i
14,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got around to take pics of phase 1 of my M3 swap. I had an M3 limited slip differential installed along with many of the rear axle components. Yes, this is really attached to my 325i with a steptronic. :rofl:

Here's what it looks like bolted up to my car:

The M3 parts I had installed include:
-Trailing arms
-Dust shields
-Axles
-Calipers
-Caliper carriers
-Rotors
-Brake pads
-Brake pad wear sensor
-Subframe
-Differential
-E-brake
-Wheel bearings/hubs
-Rear sway bar
-Drive shaft (modified for length and balanced)
-U-brace a.k.a. push rod
-A bunch of bushings

Just about everything else was kept original. I was able to reuse my powerflex RTABs from the non-M arms.

I had everything done at Ditos Motors in South San Francisco, CA. The entire swap took about 5 weeks, of which 4 1/2 weeks were spent figuring out what parts were needed and trying to source them.

The handling is just amazing! There's a little more understeer than before, but that should change once I upgrade the front sway bar and make some suspension adjustments. The car is a little bit quicker off the line thanks to the 3.62 (vs. 3.46) final drive ratio. Braking feels a little different, but not in a particularly bad way. The M3 rear rotors are huge compared to OEM (even the fronts!). On the plus side, they fill the wheel up nicely.

IMHO, BMW should have made LSD an option on the non-M cars. :D

Reactions: tzimine

·
Banned
345 Posts
So if i go to a junkyard and get an M3 LSD, it will bolt right on and I'm good to go?

If so, I'll leave right now. I need an LSD so badly. :(
read again:

cybermeplz said:
The M3 parts I had installed include:
-Trailing arms
-Dust shields
-Axles
-Calipers
-Caliper carriers
-Rotors
-Brake pads
-Brake pad wear sensor
-Subframe
-Differential
-E-brake
-Wheel bearings/hubs
-Rear sway bar
-Drive shaft (modified for length and balanced)
-U-brace a.k.a. push rod
-A bunch of bushings
are all the parts needed for the swap

so if you go to a junkyard, get the whole rear subframe with all parts included, then have the driveshaft modified, then yeah

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Couldn't you just used the Diff Sub Frame, Diff, and Half-Shaft? Swap everything from the non-m Rear Sub Frame (Trailing Arm, Rear Camber Arm, and etc)?

-TrippinBimmer

BTW: Congrats on the setup I wanna do :D

·
Registered
E46 332i M3 E30 325i
14,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool story brah
JK... Thats pretty sweet Kalim. So now you know what's needed can Cyberfifi Garage do an install for me :craig:
lol, for sure.

:thumbsup:
:)

That's awesome...

I think they should have made an LSD option for the non-m cars too or at least make them easier to swap in with less parts having to install with it
:werd:

this makes me horny
Cool. :rofl:

Thanks. It sure is!

I can take care of that for you pooner :4ngie:
:eek:

i can haz?
Yes! Keep your E46 and do this mod!

:str8pimpi
Thanks!

So if i go to a junkyard and get an M3 LSD, it will bolt right on and I'm good to go?

If so, I'll leave right now. I need an LSD so badly. :(
Not quite. You're better off getting a whole rear end.

i want one too :(
Do it!

read again:

are all the parts needed for the swap

so if you go to a junkyard, get the whole rear subframe with all parts included, then have the driveshaft modified, then yeah
Yup. For models with the 4-bolt differential flange (like my 325i), you'll need to get a 6-bolt drive shaft and modify that.

nicee whats next? :D
S54 swap!

lookin good as always K!
Thanks, P!

i want LSD.

:eeps:

:evil:

:envious
:thanks:

lol like what? the air that was consuming the space under your car? :rofl:
:spit:

Well, the wishbones were common between the M3 and my car. So were almost all of the bolts.

Couldn't you just used the Diff Sub Frame, Diff, and Half-Shaft? Swap everything from the non-m Rear Sub Frame (Trailing Arm, Rear Camber Arm, and etc)?

-TrippinBimmer

BTW: Congrats on the setup I wanna do :D
It's a lot easier for a 330 than a 325. The axle shafts are thinner on the 325, which means the M3 ones won't fit 325 trailing arms. You can't bolt the 325 shafts to the M3 diff either because the M3 flanges have a larger diameter. I believe the 330 trailing arms will accommodate the M3 axles fine so you would only need the parts you listed (and miscellaneous things like the push rod). 330s also have a 6-bolt differential flange so you just use your OEM drive shaft. On the plus side, I did get a brake upgrade out of it. :)

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.