BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here had luck finding stock rear bushings for differential? According to dealer and few other part supplies stores they are not available. I don't want polyurethane ones.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe e36 m3 diff bushings work

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
They look identical but different part numbers. Has anyone here tried replacing with bushings from e36?

·
Registered
111 Posts
My guys just ordered some diff bushings for mine this week, I think from ECSTuning. After the TTFS SMG tune, they thought the diff bushings were transmitting too much NVH. I’ll check to see what they are. But from history, the rubber around the diff isn’t the best in these. After fixing the pinion seal leak twice in 30k miles, my guys found a better seal (specialty hydraulics supplier I think). So it wouldn’t be beyond imagination to think nonOE diff bushings are the way to go. It may be a while before I get to drive the car and assess the changes (thanks COVID), but I’ll report back on this thread for sake of the file.

Cheers,

maw

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My guys just ordered some diff bushings for mine this week, I think from ECSTuning. After the TTFS SMG tune, they thought the diff bushings were transmitting too much NVH. I’ll check to see what they are. But from history, the rubber around the diff isn’t the best in these. After fixing the pinion seal leak twice in 30k miles, my guys found a better seal (specialty hydraulics supplier I think). So it wouldn’t be beyond imagination to think nonOE diff bushings are the way to go. It may be a while before I get to drive the car and assess the changes (thanks COVID), but I’ll report back on this thread for sake of the file.

Cheers,

maw
Sounds good, let us know. Also, if you could please let me know where you got those seals. I just finished changing all three today, pain in the arse.

·
Registered
61 Posts
In the middle of this job today (and tmw). Just went OEM for the front bushing. Wont replace the rears this time around.

It truly is a pain the a$$ job.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
Afaik the rear bushings are not sold separately and you need to buy the diff cover as it sells with bushings already pressed in.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Afaik the rear bushings are not sold separately and you need to buy the diff cover as it sells with bushings already pressed in.
That's what I found out yesterday at the dealer, and I wonder what's the reason BMW decided to do it like that. One can get bushings for e36 as well as for e90. Anyway, e36 bushings look identical to those in e46, at least in picture, and I was wondering if they are same dimensions so I could use those instead.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think this is the reason I’m getting aftermarket bushings. We both thought to do all three since the diff has to come out — yes, pain in the arse and I think he said 4 hrs or so labor (maybe 6, I forget). Neither of us thought a diff cover was on the menu — so ECS bushings it is.

Any time this diff comes out it’s a pain in the arse.

maw

·
Registered
328 Posts
That's what I found out yesterday at the dealer, and I wonder what's the reason BMW decided to do it like that. One can get bushings for e36 as well as for e90. Anyway, e36 bushings look identical to those in e46, at least in picture, and I was wondering if they are same dimensions so I could use those instead.

I confirmed that people have used e36 m3 bushings.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,382 Posts
I confirmed that people have used e36 m3 bushings.
must be a reason BMW didn't offer these seperately and why they didn't use the E36 bushings. :dunno:

although it could as simple as people were cracking the aluminum cast cover while trying to replace.

·
Registered
328 Posts
must be a reason BMW didn't offer these seperately and why they didn't use the E36 bushings. :dunno:

although it could as simple as people were cracking the aluminum cast cover while trying to replace.
Aluminum ears are very fragile, so possible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts