E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i've just picked up a set of M3 front and rear calipers, discs and pads from a 2005 M3 with the factory drilled rotors - (discs in english)

I currently have on my 330i a set of stoptech cross drilled discs and standard rear

Looking at the new M3 discs and calipers they look very simular to my 330i setup and im interested does anyone have the standard sizes to hand?

what is OEM 330i front and back size?
what is the OEM M3 front and back size?
Will the calipers need modifying or are they just bolt on to existing carriers from my 330?

is there much diff between the 330 and M3 brake wise ? as they look very simular just crossdrilled

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump! before I manually offer these rotors up to my 330

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if I can't use these then could anyone else on here i.e a 325 owner or are they m3 specific only

·
Registered
692 Posts
325 owner cannt, the rear rotors are too big on 330i and m3, the e-brake wont work,. if you have a 330i, its worth going to a m3 brake, unless you have money to waste IMO.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Not worth it especially if you already have StopTech's. The M3 brakes will require modifications and making custom carriers and if one little thing is off or a piece you have to make fails...brakes are too important to Frankenstein. Sell the M3 setup, keep the StopTech fronts and buy some rears (although you probly don't even really need them.)

·
Registered
593 Posts
not worth it especially if you already have stoptech's. The m3 brakes will require modifications and making custom carriers and if one little thing if off or a piece you have to make fails...brakes are too important to frankenstein. Sell the m3 setup, keep the stoptech fronts and buy some rears (although you probly don't even really need them.)
+1

·
Registered
808 Posts
not worth it especially if you already have stoptech's. The m3 brakes will require modifications and making custom carriers and if one little thing is off or a piece you have to make fails...brakes are too important to frankenstein. Sell the m3 setup, keep the stoptech fronts and buy some rears (although you probly don't even really need them.)
+2

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah I just had an offer from an m3 owner I couldn't refuse so bought them without pre checking this stuff

what would be my best reselling possibility? to an m3 owner after drilled discs?
what about the calipers are they an upgrade viable for anyone?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
yeah I just had an offer from an m3 owner I couldn't refuse so bought them without pre checking this stuff

what would be my best reselling possibility? to an m3 owner after drilled discs?
what about the calipers are they an upgrade viable for anyone?
Lol I almost did this once although the set I was offered was free. It would be a great upgrade to any 325 and 330 if only they were interchangeable. I would throw them for sale on your local craigslist, in the for sale forum on here and bimmerforums and I think there's an m3forum as well. The calipers are worthless without the correct carriers so yes they would be viable to an M3 owner in need of a new set but that's it. GL on the sale and before buying any other M parts just :search: on here first to see whether it can be done.

·
Registered
9,777 Posts
if i'm not mistaken, the 330's front rotors are the same size as the m3. the rears of the m3 are larger than the 330's

·
Registered
19,647 Posts
front 325x25 both
rear 320x22 both

M3
front 325x28 regular
front 345x28 cross-drilled
rear 328x20 both

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have this same question for my car, i have a 330 Ci and have the option to buy some of these for cheap, i need new pads and discs soon anyway and track my car regularly. i know the discs are the same size but i'm not after more power i'm after more fade resistance, and the M3s are thicker.
the calipers i have been offered come with carriers but my question is can they bolt to the stock uprights/trailing arm? i can buy the M3 trailing arms too if necesary.

Ant

·
Registered
24,869 Posts
i have this same question for my car, i have a 330 Ci and have the option to buy some of these for cheap, i need new pads and discs soon anyway and track my car regularly. i know the discs are the same size but i'm not after more power i'm after more fade resistance, and the M3s are thicker.
the calipers i have been offered come with carriers but my question is can they bolt to the stock uprights/trailing arm? i can buy the M3 trailing arms too if necesary.

Ant
If you want more fade resistance, get more track oriented brake pads and flush your brake fluid with some quality brake fluid with a high boiling temp. This will help you a lot more than switching to OE M3 brakes and be cheaper too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you want more fade resistance, get more track oriented brake pads and flush your brake fluid with some quality brake fluid with a high boiling temp. This will help you a lot more than switching to OE M3 brakes and be cheaper too.
i have every intention of getting ferrodo DS2500 with decent pads with whichever system i use so its only the cost of the calipers. for the cahs this upgrade will cost it will be worth it, if for nothing else but peice of mind......

my question is simply will they fit the stock uprights/trailing arms or is it a case of changing the whole suspension??

Ant

·
Registered
24,869 Posts
i have every intention of getting ferrodo DS2500 with decent pads with whichever system i use so its only the cost of the calipers. for the cahs this upgrade will cost it will be worth it, if for nothing else but peice of mind......

my question is simply will they fit the stock uprights/trailing arms or is it a case of changing the whole suspension??

Ant
Don't forget the extra cost of replacing rotors as well. For example, cost of a 330 front brake kit (rotors, pads, sensors) from getBMWparts.com is $290, while for an M3 the cost is $490.

As for fitting the car, no, I believe they do not fit being that they are different part numbers as well as this is the reason nobody has put M3 or competition package brakes on their non-M. I believe it would require a custom caliper carrier and this is why the only custom caliper carriers I have seen are for 1 series painted calipers or Porsche OEM brembo calipers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts