BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically I work where I hang out with rich people all day and one of them has M6 rims and M3 hood, side skirts, front and rear fenders he's offering me, cheap if not free.

I'm hesitant, as my car is bone stock. I'll only be doing air filter and exhaust and maybe intake in the near future, and sound system. And I define "r!c3r" as anything that looks substantially more powerful/tuned than it is, so I definitely don't want to be a poseur.

My question is, with M6 rims + M3 hood and skirts,

A. Would it look good?

B. Would you guys consider it riced/poseur?

Thanks in advance!

-SMM

P.S. Lat1noNY- how did you get those blacked out front grilles? bought or DIY?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The question you should be asking yourself is:

C. Will it fit?

M6 rims will NOT fit without some hardcore fender pulling. M3 hood will fit with some work.
Thanks for the response!

What sort of work needs to be done to get those rims to fit? I've heard of "rolling the fenders" in fact i'll look it up right now. Turning radius impacted? heavier? Re-Dyno the car for speedometer accuracy? loss in acceleration?

I'm not a huge fan of those rims, I have the 5 spoke plain ones and I love them, they're simple, classy, and strong, so if it's going to co$t me and affect performance, it's not worth it because I drive my car like an @$$hole whenever I can.

Thanks!

-SMM

Oh and P.S. How hard is that M3 hood to fit on?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Rolling the fenders is a simple procedure, here major arch work will be needed. Think of cutting them and making them alot wider. ALOT wider. Getting original M6 wheels to fit is a major project.
EDIT: Here is a project on E46Fanatics during which M6 wheels were fitted: LINK.

Now the hood, its only a matter of adjustment of the front fenders and the hood itself. You can do it yourself armed only with a basic set of tools, alot of patience and spacers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link! Your Search-Fu is impressive, I couldn't find anything like that when i looked a week ago.

Does the hood seem like a good idea with a stock e46? Again I'm really against the poseur lifestyle like that "M5" with "///M Power" sharpied on the side haha.

-SMM

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I spend way too much time on here ;)

There is nothing wrong with an M3 hood on a non-M, alot of people do it. It may look a bit out of place on a stock car, but paired with a few mods such as a EuroSpec bumper or other mods, it will look awesome and be the envy of people. I know I want a M3 hood. If you do decide to swap hoods, go to the dealership and purchase M3 hood struts, since the M3 hood is alot lighter than the one on normal cars, it will shoot open if they are not changed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
M6 reps? Then you wont have to roll the fenders.
I'm getting the M6 rims for free, that's what started this whole "What if?" thing.

And thanks for the tip on the struts!

-SMM

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,483 Posts
I think it's a great combo actually. There are plenty of people on here running M3 style parts with M6 wheels, it's a pretty common setup. IMO, since it's all M inspired, it will flow well.

I agree with the folks above though, you will need a set of M6 reps...the stock M6 wheels are far to aggressive for your car.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,812 Posts
how are you getting M3 rear fenders?

·
Registered
14,798 Posts
someone already put on OEM M6 rims however it required a lot of custom fender work to make them fit properly. do a search and see what his efforts were then decide if you should sell the rims or modify your car. that said OEM M6 rims have a :drool: concavity to them that reps can "rep" at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts