E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've never driven an M3 w/ aftermarket springs, please do NOT reply. I'm looking for first-hand experience. I already know how the HR sport springs work w/ other non-M3 cars.
I love the ride of the M3 w/ the stock M suspension going over slight dips/bumps/small pothotles on the streets and highway is very tolerable, even a little too smooth. However, when you push the car in the twisties, the car absolutely shines...the suspension gets stiffer and stiffer the harder you push it. It's great!

The only major drawback is the ride height! The gap between the wheel and fender is simply too much for me aesthetically. BUT I don't want to compromise ride/handling quality for better aesthetics.

On my previous car (2002 330 ci), I had H&R sport springs which dropped it perfectly, but the ride quality was sacraficed somewhat. It was a little bouncy at times, and at high speeds, hitting slight dips was a bit jarring. Handling wise, it seemed to help a little but just a little.

I bought the M3 to inherit the entire package (ride, handling, looks, power, braking, etc.) so that I'd "NOT" have to heavily mod it and risk any warranty issues.

My dilemma now is this: should I get springs; if so, which brand/model will lower it nicely "without" sacraficing ride quailty? I hate the floaty/bouncy feeling that I had w/ my 330 ci w/ HR sport springs and will "not" get it if I have to deal w/ that.

What should I do? What are YOUR experiences w/ aftermarket springs on your M3? If you've never driven an M3 w/ aftermarket springs, please do NOT reply. I'm looking for first-hand experience.

Which is the BEST option w/out having to upgrade the shocks?
1. HR Sport (ride quality; does it lower it enough? will it stress the stock M shocks?)

2. Eibach Pro-Kit (ride quality; does it lower it enough? will it stress the stock M shocks?)

3. Racing Dynamics (ride quality; does it lower it enough? will it stress the stock M shocks?)

4. Leave it stock

5. Other springs (don't like what I've heard about Intrax springs).

·
Banned
3,769 Posts
with HR springs, the ride will always be stiffer no matter which one you go with. but the handling really improves. if you like the ride or your stock suspension, i think you should try eibachs. those are supposed to give you the same ride as your stocks from what i have heard.

·
Registered
408 Posts
haha you posted the same on the M3forum, so i'll paste my reply in here to..
Well i've never driven a lowered M3 before, for that matter i've never even driven an M3! I agree with you that the stock height is too much. From my research and many praise from other people i hear that KW coilovers are the way to go. Rides like stock but a lower height and very adjustable. They cost about $1600 USD for a set tho..

·
Registered
54 Posts
hey man...

I just got the H&R's put on my car 2 days ago...i had the same questions and concerns you have before i ended up going with the H&R's. i didn't get sufficient advice, so i went with what I had success with before (I had H&R's on my last '95 M3). plus, bmp design out of dallas had them on sale for an awesome price.

the H&R's drop the front about 1.2" and the rear about .5" (thats what they said, but it's a tad lower). the ride height is absolutely great and i honestly think that the car rides about the same as it did before. the front springs are a bit stiffer, but nothing to make one feel like yaking after a 30 min ride. since i was happy with the way the car took curves, i wasn't expecting too much of an increase in handling...but that improved as well.

the best thing is that the car doesn't scrape on every driveway and speed bump. so, from experience, i would suggest u go with the H&Rs...let us know what you decide.

Safeer

·
Registered
695 Posts
My SG M3 still has the springs in them. The ride is much stiffer and fun to drive on the twisties

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the advice guys, I'll most likely go w/ the HR springs. I can stand the wheel gap no longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts