• SMG

Votes: 34 42.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys have on your m3 ??

I am about to purchase a M3 and am just wondering what is the popular choice between the 2

·
Registered
434 Posts
My advice is test drive both. I have always been a manual purist -- until I test drove the SMG. Now I consider myself an F1 purist ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Originally I thought the SMG II would be awesome but I test drove it and it didn't really impress me very much. To me it didn't really feel that fast at all and I think the 6-speed is more fun to drive.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
I also consider myself a purist and had the opportunity to test drive both. THe manual first and then the SMG and I liked the SMG better.... and bought it.

F1 purist here too! :)

AdamR

·
Bimmerless
1,862 Posts
Owlin said:
Originally I thought the SMG II would be awesome but I test drove it and it didn't really impress me very much. To me it didn't really feel that fast at all and I think the 6-speed is more fun to drive.
The reason you didnt like it because you didnt have it long enough. Of course the first time you drive something you have never experienced, its going to feel awkward. A couple hours after leaving the dealership, I was second guessing my choice. But after a couple of days, I realized SMG is the way to go. Effortless shifts, no possible overrevs, and many other functions built in that you will figure out once you OWN it, not just 30MINUTE drive it.

SMG all the way.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The option between SMG and the Stick is completely subjective. . .both interfaces have their positives and negatives, and performance is virtually the same for both (though the SMG is very slightly slower in instrumented testing, under real world circumstances, the cars would be neck and neck).

Personally, I prefer SMG.

-jim

·
Bimmerless
1,862 Posts
jim said:
The option between SMG and the Stick is completely subjective. . .both interfaces have their positives and negatives, and performance is virtually the same for both (though the SMG is very slightly slower in instrumented testing, under real world circumstances, the cars would be neck and neck).

Personally, I prefer SMG.

-jim
Jim, you sneaky devil. Just noticed your bio. M3 on order?:dunno: :D

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,084 Posts
A lot of the old-timers would frown upon the absence of a clutch pedal and having it replaced with fancy electronics, but I think the SMG tranny is a really interesting piece of technology. I still haven't had a chance to drive an SMG car yet.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Anthony said:

Jim, you sneaky devil. Just noticed your bio. M3 on order?:dunno: :D
Not on order yet, unfortunately. But as soon as the project I've been working on for the last >year closes, I'm going straight to the dealership to order a '03 Titanium Silver SMGII with HK and Premium. I can't wait (the 540 I've got now isn't that bad, though :D ) !

-jim

·
Registered
395 Posts
SMGII is the way to be. manual is boring:rolleyes:

·
Registered
395 Posts
atyclb said:

you must be joking
u cant get head in the whip w/ manual shifts:banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
3 Posts
6 Speed Manual or SMG

I got the 6 speed Manual in my 2003, because I can't imagine driving a BMW Sports Coupe like the M3, without rowing through the gears myself, and I feel lost without a Clutch Pedal.

I have never driven the M3 with the SMG, so I'm not even going to comment on the good or bad on the SMG.

This is just my opinion, and I know it's a very subjective topic.

Cheers
ImolaM3(NJ):thumbup:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
6 speed for me!!!

I prefer 6 speed, i think it's more fun, but some people prefer SMG cuz they want to try the new technology!!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Sorry this is so long!!

I have driven both SMG II and manual. I initially drove a 6 speed manual when the M3 was first released. My dealership let me take it Saturday night through Monday morning. It was truely the most amazing vehicle I had ever driven. At that point, I had driven TT Supra's, my buddies TT NSX, a 510HP 300Z to name a few and nothing compared to the feel of the M3 6 speed!! It was incredibly smooth!!

When the SMG II was released, I was able to take it home for the same period of time...Saturday evening through Monday morning. Keep in mind that I was sceptacle since I had just traded in my steptronic 328 for a manual 330 becasue I hated not having a clutch. My first impression was that SMG II was an amazing technology and completely superceeded steptronic, which was amazing NEW technology only a few years prior. However, the "coolness" of SMG wore off after a few hours of driving and I slowly began to miss not having a clutch again. When I returned the car Monday morning, I was more than happy to get my 330 back!! I could never part ways with the control a clutch gives you. I am the type of person that will heel/toe even when driving around town.

I am surprised by how many people that swore by manual cars now swear by SMG!! To me, SMG II is an improved steptronic!!:thumbup:

·
Bimmerless
1,862 Posts
PortlandDinan3 said:
To me, SMG II is an improved steptronic!!:thumbup:
:thumbdwn: So all those F1 people are winning with Steptronics? Man, wait until all the other manufacturers hear about this.:lmao:

And for those that say the SMG isnt as fun as stick, all I can say is....when flying around twisties, you dont need to worry about shifting. The SMG does almost everything for you, all you have to do is worry about the road ahead, and not having to fumble through the gears. To each his own. This debate will never end. Do what you want, its your purchase. You are going to be happy either way once you are behind the wheel.:thumbup:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Anthony said:

:thumbdwn: So all those F1 people are winning with Steptronics? Man, wait until all the other manufacturers hear about this.:lmao:

And for those that say the SMG isnt as fun as stick, all I can say is....when flying around twisties, you dont need to worry about shifting. The SMG does almost everything for you, all you have to do is worry about the road ahead, and not having to fumble through the gears. To each his own. This debate will never end. Do what you want, its your purchase. You are going to be happy either way once you are behind the wheel.:thumbup:
The SMG does almost everything for you

LOL another word for automatic is what your looking for buddy.. its ok though as long as its an m3 its all good... Even though my 6 speed is better :lmao: :lmao: :thumbup: :thumbup: i still love you fawkers...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts