BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit confused here, i read most places that the M3 has 333hp but in some other mags it says it's 343hp. Which one is it? I'm thinking that maybe the Euro version is 343 and North American is 333? If this is the case, what is different on the Euro engine? I wouldn't mine getting an extra 10 ponies if the mod is easy.

·
OG Moderator Extraordinaire
6,257 Posts
I think they're both the same... just in different measurements.

Just like 0 degrees Centigrade is 32 degrees Farenhite (sp?)

·
Registered
158 Posts
333 for US... 343 for Euro... its because of the emissions laws of the US and the different exhaust system (headers, cats, etc).

You won't be able to tell a difference.

·
Crazy Boy
1,370 Posts
hayaku said:
333 for US... 343 for Euro... its because of the emissions laws of the US and the different exhaust system (headers, cats, etc).

You won't be able to tell a difference.
exactly.

·
T!TSLVR
1,263 Posts
All I know is that it is 333hp and 343bhp

I'm not sure the difference between the two measurements.. anyone know the conversion?? :dunno:

EDIT:
brake horsepower
NOUN:
abbr. bhp or b.hp.

The actual or useful horsepower of an engine, usually determined from the force exerted on a friction brake or dynamometer connected to the drive shaft.

(and)

horsepower
NOUN:
1. abbr. hp A unit of power in the U.S. Customary System, equal to 745.7 watts or 33,000 foot-pounds per minute.

2. The power exerted by a horse in pulling.

·
Registered
298 Posts
From my understanding...

Impulss said:
All I know is that it is 333hp and 343bhp

I'm not sure the difference between the two measurements :dunno:
The standards used to measure are a little bit different in America and Europe. The 330 is rated as 231bhp for Europe and 225hp for America. The M3 is rated at 343 bhp for Europe and 333 hp for USA.

I'm pretty sure they are actually the same, just different measures. I'm not sure of all the differences, but I know bhp (braking horsepower) is used in Europe. In the US, we use SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Net horsepower.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
The discrepency is due to both measurement difference and emission setup. e.g. 231 DIN HP = 228 SAE HP, and different cats account for the other 3 HP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts