E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 330cic with steptronic. What would be involved in shoving a 2004 m3 motor in there. could I still use my steptronic?

I figured since a s/c cost $6-7k I bet I could get a m3 motor for the same price and have just about the same results (sleeper).

Would I have to swap wiring harness too or could the ecu just plug in. I figure its the same block just bored out and worked over (or am I wrong).

Any info if someone has done something simular please do tell.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Im sure some other guys could give you alot more help .. but im pretty sure an m3 motor costs ALOT more than that ... for just the motor ...

·
Mod Squad
10,012 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but if swapping in an S54 was an easy task, then there'd be a lot more people doing the same.

One of the most notable engine swaps was done by Ben Liaw's crew over at Rogue Engineering. Search over in www.bimmerfest.com there's a thread over there that details some of the pains they went through for the swap. Do a search here ( 'fanatics) for a thread by MITE46. He's DIYing the engine swap.

·
Registered
671 Posts
yeah I was considering it once too...but seemed like waayy too much time and money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts