BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm currently stationed in Germany, driving a 2000 320CI.

I was wondering about how the steptronic works, specifically this : Is the car only in sports mode if I flip over into M/S and not shift up or down? Or does it disable sport mode if I do use the steptronic to shift?

I've noticed that when I first flip it over an S D comes up on the dash, but when I shift it shows an M and the current gear I'm in.

Sorry if this is confusing to anyone, thanks!

·
Registered
2006 325Ci M56 5MT
1,005 Posts
If you switch to the sport mode it will change gears at a higher rev than normal drive. if you move the stick up or down while in sport mode you can engage the gears manually if its within its rev range, so it wont damage the motor. While in manual mode the transmission will shift to the next gear automatically when you reach redline. It will also downshift by itself if the car gets slow enough, but you can move change the gear manually to any gear as long as its within a safe rev range.

·
Registered
2006 325Ci M56 5MT
1,005 Posts
If you switch to the sport mode it will change gears at a higher rev than normal drive. if you move the stick up or down while in sport mode you can engage the gears manually if its within its rev range, so it wont damage the motor. While in manual mode the transmission will shift to the next gear automatically when you reach redline. It will also downshift by itself if the car gets slow enough, but you can move change the gear manually to any gear as long as its within a safe rev range.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I hope someone more experienced chimes in, but as far as I know it works like this:

When in "S" mode the car is in "Sport automatic", it will retard the shifting making each gear larger (at more RPM's) and the car will feel a bit more nervous.

In the manual mode you just choose when you want the car to change gear by pushing/ pulling the gear lever, the car only controls that it is safe to do it (it won't let you stall it by starting from a stop in 5th gear for example)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense to me.

One more question related to this : a few months ago I plugged the car's vin into a database online and it told me everything the car came with. One of the things was sport suspension setting. When I flip it over into m/s, does it stiffen the suspension, or is it just saying I have sport suspension overall?

Also, if it does stiffen the suspension, does shifting manually take it out of sport mode (considering the s turns into an m on the dash)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
the vin break out is only telling you that the car came w/ sports suspension.
cheers,
larry

·
Registered
2006 325Ci M56 5MT
1,005 Posts
I believe all Coupes came with sport suspension, and its just traditional suspension so, no dynamic changes.

Sports mode just changes when the shifts happen, just hangs a little longer.
Manual just means that you can choose when to shift

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi every one i wanted to ask a question?i want to delet my mechanic fan and swap it to electric fan .is it possible to keep both electric fan the front and back one???

·
Registered
664 Posts
Bassam, please look in the DIY section labeled Aux fan swap http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=849735 and it will give you all the detailed information on the mechanical fan delete.

Welcome to the forum and stay within topic of the heading for the thread. If you have a question, search first and if you don't find the answers start a new thread. What you did is called thread jacking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts