BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can you replace a 9006 55w bulb with an 80w super white bulb for the fogs in an m-3 housing? Or will it generate to much heat and melt the lense? If anyone has tried this in the past chime in please.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just go with a 35w hid kit, the 80w may either be to hot(unlikely) or the draw will be to much for the wiring(most likely). I think its a general rule of thumb that you shouldn't add any more than 10% draw on a stock wire. That's what I go by anyway and I'm ASE certified for electrical.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

·
Registered
284 Posts
55w is correct. In my experience, those super bright bulbs burn so quickly. Trust me when i say that they are garbage. If you want the HID look on your fogs, get some LED bulbs off of ebay. LEDs do not get nearly as hot as halogens, they pretty much look like HIDs and plug right into your oem socket with no other hardware needed. I highly recomend LED bulbs for you.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
55w is correct. In my experience, those super bright bulbs burn so quickly. Trust me when i say that they are garbage. If you want the HID look on your fogs, get some LED bulbs off of ebay. LEDs do not get nearly as hot as halogens, they pretty much look like HIDs and plug right into your oem socket with no other hardware needed. I highly recomend LED bulbs for you.
He wants super bright light output which can not be fulfilled by a led bulb.
Leds suck as compared to halogen or hid.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought aftermarket fog housings and 6000K bulbs, the only problem I had was the plasctic ring covers would to snap on firmly. I had to use my old ones. I spend a good 30 minutes trying to see why the new rings would not snap on tight. They appear to be the same as the old rings.

I would like to have the new rings on my car, the finish on my old ones seem to be wore out and pitted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts