BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I dont know how to actually do it... but after 8 years with the m sport seats I am starting to need the lower back support.

So I really want to retrofit lumber support. The retrofit kit is discontinued. Its 2019, how can we do this now?

Can i use the pump and pads from a 1 series for example? Help and ideas please!

I have taken apart the driver seat before so not worried at all about taking apart the seat. Its actually quite easy to do. Just need to know parts, the switch, wiring, pump and pads? is that it? Current seats are electric heated memory.

Yes i have searched but the information out there is outdated now.

Thanks

edit: interesting information found here https://www.glaver.org/lumbar/index.shtml

edit2: so looks like it wiring, switch, pump and pads with valve unit, thats it. Time to start sourcing.

edit3: bought driver side wiring £15

Edit4: bough 1 set of pads and pump with valve unit £27. Got lucky found it on eBay.

Edit5: ordered switch driver side brand new £16. So that's one seat done for under £60. Sweet!

Edit 6: wiring passenger side £15 and switch £5 ordered. Just need pads pump and valve and all done there. Very happy csnt wait for the new feel.

·
Sofa-king-what
1,960 Posts
don't worry mate, is super easy once you understand the position of the cushion

my 0,2 do a leak test on in before install

·
Premium Member
2016 340i & 2002 325Ci
3,277 Posts
Yeah I did it on both my front seats. Just because the kit is discontinued doesn't mean you can't buy the parts separate new if you wanted to. I bought the pump, valve, and bladder used on eBay. Bought the wiring harnesses new for both sides because I couldn't find used, they were only like $20 from BMW. The dates on the harnesses were 2016, so pretty cool they're still making parts like that for these cars.

Kind of a pain DIY but not impossible. My driver's side air bladder leaks from somewhere but the passenger side is fine, and in my case that's the side that really matters.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, surprised the wiring is still available new and not expensive. Plenty of buttons about somewhat, ordered passenger side bag and pump, just on the look out for driver side now.

I take it passenger and driver pump and bags are not interchangeable?

Looks quite easy to do now.

Yeah I did it on both my front seats. Just because the kit is discontinued doesn't mean you can't buy the parts separate new if you wanted to. I bought the pump, valve, and bladder used on eBay. Bought the wiring harnesses new for both sides because I couldn't find used, they were only like $20 from BMW. The dates on the harnesses were 2016, so pretty cool they're still making parts like that for these cars.

Kind of a pain DIY but not impossible. My driver's side air bladder leaks from somewhere but the passenger side is fine, and in my case that's the side that really matters.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Done driver side. Very pleased. I made the hole in one go with a 25mm wood drill bit. No problems at all. Just be careful, to start off in the centre.

20190512_175323_1557688393653.jpg
20190512_175439_1557688446879.jpg
20190512_195308_1557688536340.jpg

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I've been pulling junkyard parts-
I've gotten so old, decrepit, and addicted to the softness
of BMW living that I've started putting them in
everything I drive. And back heat (never needed the warm butt)

I wouldn't reuse the bladders, tho, on seats that are hard to take apart.

t
has lumbar support on his lawn tractor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts