BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
<del>If you haven't seen this wheel yet then check out Turner's page: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=EMPOWER-WHEEL-18

I'm really excited about the weight savings and still getting a good looking wheel. These will be a 9lb savings for each wheel which should be huge.

I'm not sure what I should do for fitment yet though... I'm thinking about going with a 18x8.5" ET40 with 255/35-18 tires on all 4 corners. Do you guys think this sounds good? I think that having a wider wheel in the rear would just degrade handling/performance... thoughts?</del>

UPDATE: Got the new EmPOWERs on my car and this is the only picture I have for now (just taken with my iPhone). I'll have my first track day on them next week:

Here's another picture that was taken at our local BMWCCA Concours D'Elegance event (I placed 2nd in the E46 featured class), I didn't bring my camera though so at the moment I don't even have a full picture of my car:

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
why not go staggered? the 18x9.5 is only a lbs heavier....

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
I'm thinking for the purpose of neutralizing handling. It seems like I've hard a lot of talk about a squared setup being the best handling option for the E46.
I can see that...Help out on the understeer...Just depends how u like it. Its all preference...I wont go with 255 all way around...more ideal around 235-245

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
if you're looking for weight savings, why don't you try out the LTW-5's? those are much lighter

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you're looking for weight savings, why don't you try out the LTW-5's? those are much lighter
:rolleyes: The LTW5's are only 1.2 lbs lighter and look like a dedicated track wheel. I'm looking for something that will be suitable for both track and street. Considering this wheel only weighs an extra pound, I'll gladly take its more streetable good looks.

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
i was thinking about the 17's....i guess if you're going to be running it for double duty they should be fine.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
You could wait a couple months and get the Apex ARC-8 in 18", I think they're even a tad lighter. Look at n2bimmers thread, they look hawt and they're only 17's. That's probably what I'm gunna do. :str8pimpi

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
Will it work with the 43 offset?
Rears will fit for sure. I'm not sure how your KW coils fit up front, but you *might* have to run a small spacer in the front to clear them.
that could actually work out very well. on my front wheels wheels, 8.5" wide et 35, i have a good inch or so more clearance with the camber i'm running (-2.0 degrees). you could give it a try :D

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Op, you're right on with your decision for the things you want to achieve. No need to do anything else.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
And yes you can run a 9.5 with the right offset. My Apex is 9 all around and i have soooooooooooooooo much room in the front with full negative camber, well that is also because i removed the spacer

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks almost identical to Beyern Mesh.
Except for that the Mesh probably weights about 10lbs more.

And yes you can run a 9.5 with the right offset. My Apex is 9 all around and i have soooooooooooooooo much room in the front with full negative camber, well that is also because i removed the spacer
Does anyone here know what the right offset is though for a 9.5" wheel?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts