E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a DIY Thread on this? I looked and didnt see one & I want to know if this is something that can be done myself in my garage. I just had to shell out a boatload of cash for repairs so I dont want to pay anyone anthing else more then I have to.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You can definitely do it in your garage, I just did mine a month or so ago.
Here's a DIY:

http://www.e46fanatics.com/how-tos/suspension/bmw_e46_hr_springs/bmw_e46_hr_springs.php

pretty on point, just a few things are kind of a pain. i.e. - disconnecting the shocks in the rear, my rotor/swingarm/etc didn't drop down much because the sway bar kept it forced up. To get the springs in/out, we had to take a 2ft pry bar, and pry down (with it on the caliper, not the rotor) real hard, in order to get the springs in/out. Basically my 220 lb friend was standing on it to make it drop far enough. Would help to have a couple foot long breaker bar.
Front end is pretty easy, definitely helpful to rent some spring compressors for the front.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been interested in doing this but I've read a lot about how it's not worth it to put new springs on without changing out the shocks. Any thoughts? I'd hate to spend $250+ and my ride feel terrible.

·
:D
7,735 Posts
putting lowering springs on stock shocks will wear them out much quicker if they're not already worn out. if you're going to do lowering springs it's recommended that you also do shocks.
for cheaper shocks there are koni str t shocks. those i believe are similar to oem shocks but are designed for lowering springs.
your ride with springs and busted shocks will be bouncy and unresponsive. if you don't care about feel this won't matter. but if you care about performance and don't just want a drop you need shocks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts