BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two objectives:

#1 - Soften the ride from stock as much as possible for pot hole laden city driving

#2 - Lower the car as much as possible to minimize the wheel fender gap for a 19" rim package

The following Euorpean Car Article claims Koni Adjustable Shocks (set at full soft) and stock or after-market springs...they also mention Koni FSD....they are said to 'smooth the ride' etc etc... http://www.europeancarweb.com/projectcars/0609_ec_bmw_e46_m3_project/index1.html

Can some of the experienced members provide me with the BEST advice...thanks in advance as your responses and guidance is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
917 Posts
My buddy has the Pss9 setup on his M and on the softest setting it is alot more comfortable than stock. The Bilstein is an amazing kit for the street, but still can be set real harsh for track day. However it does not go that low(no tucking here)

I have Tein S tech springs and plan on doing the Koni adjustables soon. I have also heard great things about this setup(comfortable yet aggressive). The teins give that slammed look but still have a fairly soft spring rate, and wont hurt your pocket as much as coilovers. This might be the way to go if you dont track your car.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
My buddy has the Pss9 setup on his M and on the softest setting it is alot more comfortable than stock. The Bilstein is an amazing kit for the street, but still can be set real harsh for track day. However it does not go that low(no tucking here)

I have Tein S tech springs and plan on doing the Koni adjustables soon. I have also heard great things about this setup(comfortable yet aggressive). The teins give that slammed look but still have a fairly soft spring rate, and wont hurt your pocket as much as coilovers. This might be the way to go if you dont track your car.
Really, when I installed my pss9s on the lowest settings, my CHs were tucked as fuk :yikes: Sucks for the offsets though, I couldnt move anywhere without rubbing :(

·
Registered
3,591 Posts

well said:thumbsup:

·
Gonz997
6,188 Posts
KWv2 for the lowest drop and set on soft for relatively good ride, BUT, you might want to reconsider if you're streets ridden with pot holes. Going low and pot holes don't go together, and I don't care what you have for suspension, it's going to be rough - even OEM.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am never going to track the car so what would be the SOFTEST and MOST cost effective? Has anyone tried multiple set-ups? So far it seems these are the options:

#1 - Tein S tech springs / Koni adjustables
#2 - KWv2

How low can you go with these cars with a 19" iForged Equips set-up?

·
Gonz997
6,188 Posts
I did exactly that.

Cost? Obviously Tein S Tech, but you shouldn't stop with just the springs. Get a set of Koni SA and you'll absolutely love the ride and handling.

I started out with a set of just the springs, and in 2 weeks I hated the ride of any rough surface and I could tell it wouldn't be long before they get shot. So, I ordered a set of the Koni's. For right around $900 (springs and shocks/struts) I had a great setup, although the Tein's are somewhat soft upfront (e.g., 200lb range). The drop was agressive for springs and lowered the car 1.5" front and 1.3" rear.

I wanted to be able to adjust my height and although many don't like to slam the car, I do. After searching the internet for a while, 6 months after I bought my Tein/Koni setup I bought a set of KWv2. I read some post where I guy stated "get them and be happy" and he was right-on! I love my set. I've got mine set in the mid-range between soft-to-firm and it's a performer no doubt. It can go soft and comfortable I'm sure. These will run you in the $1800 to $2000 range. I know of no other coilover that's INOX and go this low.

Good luck.

·
Gonz997
6,188 Posts
They went like right away -- I got so many hits on those especially at the price I sold them at - it was ridiculous. My regrets!

·
Gonz997
6,188 Posts
KW's are progressive springs so they're more comfortable than say Ground Control, however, they're still performance oriented and expected to be a little rough even on the softest setting. But you already know that OEM is pretty bouncy too.

BTW, Tein drops 1.5" front, 1.3" rear, not 1.5" all around. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I have PSS9s, currently on the softest setting and with 19" wheels and 235/35 front and 265/30 rear and believe me the ride is more comfortable/soft than stock. Depending on the sidewall height you'll achieve the tucked tyre look. Only my rears are slightly tucked, the front has about a 2-3mm gap still. But I dont want to go any lower, because then I will scraping left right and centre!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okay after further thought and reading a number of threads I think I am going to go with Tein S Tech Springs and Koni Adjustable Shocks...does ANYONE want to sell me these? Let me know and thanks everyone for the input!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey, I'm running the Ground Control coilover set up, which no one on this board seems to run. I've got 440/500 springs and the ride is great. And I'm running 19's. I recommend GC over all the others; they will custom set your spring rates for you - from full race to street. BTW, "comfort" and lowering with 19's is not synonimus.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah I just got The Pss9's. I have the front at the lowest drop with 19's and it still have a little gap, but looks nice. The rear, I have to raise it a little bit this weekend because its tucked and when people sit in the back it starts to rub!!!! However, the ride queality is really great!!!!

·
Registered
28,946 Posts
i have pss9s dropped just enough to remove all wheel gap and have them on the softest setting. The ride is more comfortable than my oem sport suspension was and the drop looks great. The only problem you will encounter is that, when dropped low on a soft setting, those potholes will result in you bottoming out and destroying your bumper/skirts/etc.

If i were you, I wouldn't lower it to much and would put it on the normal (average) setting for stiffness. That will give youa nice drop, a pretty comfy ride, and no worries about ruining your car

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't need the adjustability...I need to just hit it right once....isn't the Tein S Tech with Koni Adjustables best for this?

I will be using these with iForged Equips 19x8 and 19x10's...will I have to roll the fenders?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts