E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this weekend I took on a Lil project and decided to lower my car.... after I was done I noticed that I have horrible negative chamber in the from... was just wondering if that's something that naturally happens because the rear is perfecrltly fine its only the front...... is it possible that I installed the top of the shock mount improperly to the car or is that something that naturally happens..... ???? And naturally and alignment wont fix that problem since in front I didn't really notice any wdjustible Control arms????

Sent from my Ally using Bimmer App

·
Registered
443 Posts
i felt bad for the views but no comment so i am commenting for you... unfortunately, i dont know anything for sure. I have heard about getting negative camber when lowering so i believe it is a common/natural problem. wish i knew more to tell you

·
Registered
30 Posts
I lowered my coupe on H&R race springs a while back and it was a really nice drop in my opinion but i burn through tires every 3-4 months because the camber is so off even after getting 3 alignments. I finally decided to get camber kits for both front and rear. I'm just waiting for them to come in this week.

·
:D
7,735 Posts
You need an alignment after doing anything to the suspension. hopefully you won't need camber plates. But it's possible.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
12,784 Posts
in the front loosen the 3 bolts in the engine bay (that holds ur shock) and move them away from the center of the car as much as u can. thats how u adjust ur camber back to positive up front

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i laready did that and they are as far away from engine as possible......... thats also y i asked if it was possible that i maybe mounted the shock in there the wrong way since the top of the shock mount isnt actually a perfect circle its more of a egg shape or soooooo

·
Registered
763 Posts
You got limited responses since this has been covered 100s of times on here. Of course when you lower the front the negative camber will increase. You need to get the car aligned. The increase in the negative camber in the rear is not at dramatic, but it is there too.

Did you loosen the strut bar when you tried to readjust the camber? Did you remove the crash pins? When you tried to adjust the camber did you have the front end off the ground?

Unless you dropped it to the ground with the new springs, you should be able to dial it out without a set of camber plates.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did you take both front shocks off as maybe you have the left top mount on the right and right on left as I think on m3s you can get more camber/caster by swapping top mounts from side to side

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
Negative camber is natural on cars that have been lowered. Getting an alignment will help keep your tire wear to a minimum. As long as your toe is not completely out of spec, your tires should still get a decent amount of life. Just be sure to rotate them on a regular basis.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took them off one at a time soil couldn't have mixed em up but its just the negative chamber I have is horrible I just thought that I might have bolted up the struts back to the top of body improperly since the top rotates and is a weird shaped I'm getting it aligned next week.... and I tried searching the forum for this but didn't find anything my search skills suck I guess... I also do have the mount pushed away as far out as possible from engine

Sent from my Ally using Bimmer App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts