BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! While driving my 2004 330ci on some errands about a week ago, I was going down a familiar street when I noticed that my car seemed to be losing power. Out of nowhere, I got the oil light on my dash, to which it quickly disappeared. I thought "hmm, that's strange." The car drove fine for about a minute, until I got to a red light, at which point the car just stopped. I turned the key off, then back on and started the car again, at which point about every damn light came on, or flashed on for a second, then turned off, and the car sputtered to a stop again. I was able to safely move my car over to the side of the road to check everything out. Thus far, the only modifications that would have any affect on my engine would be my replaced spark plugs, my lightweight battery, or my K&N intake that I installed. Well, I immediately checked the battery: everything was fine. I ruled out the spark plugs, because the car wouldn't start and have driven if they were messed up. So, I popped the hood and checked the intake. When I looked, I realized that the lower intake tube had disconnected from the upper intake tube, so essentially, the engine was starving for air.

ANYWAYS, my question is twofold:
1. Do you think there is any terrible engine damage for the time that the lower intake tube was basically disconnected from the upper intake tube? Keep in mind, it was a very short period of time.
2. My check engine light is still on. Can the peake engine scanner take care of it?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any help?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Which intake tubes are you referring to?

Before the MAF or after?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which intake tubes are you referring to?

Before the MAF or after?
after the MAF. Like, the whole upper part of the intake (incl. the filter, MAF, and upper intake tube) disconnected from the lower intake tube that connects to the manifold. The T-clamp between the two is definitely not as secure as I'd like it to be, and I will soon be placing a silicone coupler between the two along with two t-clamps to make it more secure.

·
Banned
61 Posts
It wasn't starving for air, it was probably running extremely lean. It was getting more air than the MAF was registering. Your motor didn't blow so whatever damage that was done, wont be noticable unless you feel a loss of power or actually open the block and find any damage seals or rings. Reconnect everything, clear the code, and see if there is any damage. The biggest issue would be the unfiltered air going on, so I would get an intake cleaning service done. The intake consists of two parts, the upper tube connects to the maf.. the lower intake tube connects to the throttle body. I replaced my 323 tubing with 330 tubing because it was alot bigger and didnt have that crucial bend.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I dont think your engine was starving for air, I think it was getting way too much. And this extra air was after the MAF, so the injectors had no idea how much gas to put in. So the car was running way lean. It should be fine after you reconnect the tubes, and the CEL should go off after a while

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,882 Posts
ANYWAYS, my question is twofold:
1. Do you think there is any terrible engine damage for the time that the lower intake tube was basically disconnected from the upper intake tube? Keep in mind, it was a very short period of time.
2. My check engine light is still on. Can the peake engine scanner take care of it?

Thanks guys
The Peake tool will read the codes and allow you to reset the light. If there are any lingering issues, the codes/light will return.

If you have any questions about the tools themselves, don't hesitate to contact me directly - [email protected]

Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts