BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crew, My brother in law's a 20-year ASE-certified mechanic. We went for a ride in my new 2000 328Ci, and he commented that there was a vibration under hard throttle.

Took it in to the local BMW dealer, and they spotted wear and looseness on the lower control arms, and replaced them both (ball joints, whole nine-yards) under warranty (I had only 69 miles left!).

Anyone heard of those parts wearing early? Service rep said that there was some questionable engineering when the E46 first came out (my car's an early production unit) on these ball joints, and they were prone to early wear. Guess that BMW silently changes them if they look weak on inspection.

Toyota, whose fame is that they've never had a recall, has had many silent campaigns to do stuff like this.

Anyone ever heard of this kind of thing with BMW?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I guess the early production e46 still had some glitches in them. All earliy production cars for new models usually do. I would def. go for an extended warranty...unless your bro is gonna hook you up!!

·
The Man you Love to Hate
259 Posts
I had mine replaced under warranty.

My symptom was while going over a small bump at slow speeds I would hear popping noise....

Good luck

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yep, I have to have my lower control arm bushing replaced. If u call the BMW parts dept, u will probably notice that they have all the parts in stock (Lower arms, bushing, etc) :confused: pretty strange don't u think, but they have to order some chrome exhaust tips:confused:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ya i just had mine done aswell, i guess its a problem bmw knows about.The thing im wonering is if they will wear out faster due to same problem

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the same problems as silroc (popping noise over bumps). Had them replaced under warranty as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts